Digital Political Reporter
Overview: A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. Innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide. This full-time Digital Political Reporter focuses on politics and governing and is the lead host for NPR’s blog on this topic (It’s All Politics). This individual is a facile writer with a sophisticated understanding of the political landscape and an ability to meet the copy flow demands of the political news cycle. Broad expertise in covering politics and governance is required. As a lead voice and daily writer for NPR’s blog on politics, this correspondent will craft a distinctive digital identity. The blogger will produce a daily mix of material — news writeups, coverage roundups, analytical pieces, and more. The ideal candidate is comfortable in a role that blends reporting with analysis and blends writing for a blog with setting a course of coverage for the blog. We’re looking for imagination and energy; a prolific generator of story ideas. We are seeking to establish a fresh voice for political coverage that understands the beat like a geek, but translates that understanding with a sophisticated and accessible ease. Essential Duties Include:
- Posts daily for NPR.org's political blog comfortably writing with voice, nuance and curiosity.
- Maintains a strong working relationship with the radio correspondents and editors on the topic, serving as an advocate for the blog platform as a useful way to reach a devoted topical audience.
- Participates in departmental planning for coverage, with sophisticated ideas about this beat.
- Develop and maintain a deep and diverse source list on the beat that helps NPR provide insightful coverage and also stay ahead of the news.
- Consistently and enthusiastically engages with readers and the NPR community in comment threads and other social media venues.
- Joins or hosts conversations on air and in podcasts, as requested, that touch on issues of politics and governance.
- Engages with news events as they happen, leading attention and conversation on the issues of the day.
- Monitors stories and interviews from NPR shows as well as other content on this topic.
- Fields contributions from others at NPR, including show hosts, correspondents, reporters, producers and editors.
- Coordinates with Digital News editors about developing stories, aligning the blog with the rest of the site.
- Works with other bloggers and colleagues in Digital News and Digital Media to provide input on editorial, style, technical and design issues that affect NPR's journalistic integrity and online productivity.
- Ensures that all materials produced for NPR.org meet NPR program standards and practices, including standards of accuracy, fairness, honesty and impartiality.
- Works with a minimum of supervision, even in complicated situations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- At least 8 years’ experience as a reporter and/or editor covering a beat.
- At least 10 years’ experience in a daily or weekly news organization.
- Ability to break news and aggressively set a coverage agenda.
- Experience blogging.
- Demonstrated ability to produce and present compelling, creative and original stories.
- Demonstrated dynamic and memorable digital and audio personality.
- Experience with a variety of social media platforms, including Storify, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, YouTube and Instagram.
- Thorough knowledge of news, feature and investigative reporting techniques.
- Demonstrated excellence in reporting and writing for the web.
- Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes and changing priorities/conditions.
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
- Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement may apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
- Expertise in all aspects of broadcast journalism – reporting, voicing, editing, and producing full radio pieces.
- Expertise in photography and graphic reporting.
More searches like this
- Analyst Technology and Software jobs in Washington D.C.
- Designer, Graphic Designer and Artist Technology and Software jobs in Washington D.C.
- School and Teaching Technology and Software jobs in Washington D.C.
- Software Developer Technology and Software jobs in Washington D.C.
- Management Technology and Software jobs in Washington D.C.