2014 Media Relations and Events Intern
PYXERA Global is seeking an attentive, organized, and motivated Media Relations and Events Intern to work 25 to 40 hours per week in our Washington, DC office. This intern will gain experience in event production, media relations, and communications alongside the personable and knowledgeable Public Affairs team. The Intern will take on a central role in supporting the organizations media relations and programming efforts. The ideal candidate is dynamic and ambitious with exceptional communication skills and a strong interest and background in impactful communications, and demonstrated curiosity and/or experience in international activity.
The Media Relations and Events intern will be responsible for supporting in all media relations and event planning activities. Duties include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Support the organization's social media presence, particularly surrounding events and campaigns;
- Copywriting and editing, including developing original content under direction and editing contributions from multiple contributors;
- Responsible for tracking media and press activity;
- Assist with industry research and targeted business development as well as in the development of proposals for participation in external conferences;
- Assist in the research and development of media collateral, including media lists, press releases, and promotional material;
- Assist in external event logistics management;
- Assist in budget tracking, finance requests, and expense reports.
Has or is working towards a Bachelor or Master's degree in communications, international relations, economic development, business or related field and at least 6 months of relevant experience. Desired skills include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Adept grasp of social media as a complex communications medium;
- High level of computer literacy and ability to learn new technology quickly;
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills;
- Detail oriented with excellent proofreading skills;
- Event planning experience (meetings, conferences, weddings, corporate parties, fundraisers, etc);
- Experience with WordPress or web maintenance preferred;
- Energy, enthusiasm, and a good sense of humor;
- Demonstrates initiative and ability to work independently and as a member of a team to meet program needs;
- Ability to manage diverse activities and to meet deadlines required; flexibility to changing situations and priorities desired;
- Experience in the nonprofit or international development sector is considered a plus.