IT Storage Administrator
IT Storage Administrator
The College Board, a national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Systems Administrator II in our Reston, VA Office.
The Systems Administrator will Analyze, develop, implement and support solutions for process improvements, trouble-shooting, production support and new product development in support of all mass storage systems and their client systems.
- Support/Lead implementation efforts of infrastructure upgrades/enhancements and perform regularly scheduled maintenance to keep system downtime to a minimum.
- Provide expertise in problem definition, capacity planning and the general design and integration of mass storage systems.
- Develops increasing expertise in key technologies, focusing on mass storage systems and data backup systems.
- Develops an increasing appreciation for technologies and architectures, including: enterprise architecture strategies, deployment of best practices, architecture and component performance testing, hosting strategies, infrastructure architectures and RUP.
- Provide technical support to third parties regarding the use, understanding, design, and implementation of College Board data storage, providing end user and on-site support when required.
- Maintain high customer satisfaction ratings and implement controls to ensure rapid satisfactory resolution of all customer issues
- Represents The College Board and its products in public forums, inter-company meetings, and industry conferences.
- Management of daily operations which includes: Verification of storage system health; Creation of new shared storage resources as required; Ensuring valid backups of all College Board data.
- Work closely with all teams to ensure seamless operations of the data storage related processing. This includes, but is not limited to: ensuring the backup/archival of critical application files is scheduled to be performed; regularly scheduled maintenance to keep system downtime to a minimum; utilizing available resources to maximize throughput; monitoring system performance, detecting and troubleshooting any hardware, software or operating system problems; performing routine tasks and emergency system maintenance, as needed; scheduling and supervising vendor repairs, as required.
- Provide production status reports to appropriate departments within The College Board, and also to vendors as required.
- Develop, maintain, communicate and implement written processes and procedures related to all aspects of Application Support.
- Work with the existing College Board system and program staff to establish policies and procedures necessary to: ensure data protection; provide necessary storage capacity to users and systems as needed; Provide customer support to end users as needed.
- Perform other assignments as required in support of assigned competency level in this area.
Bachelors Degree in a related field, plus additional related college courses or professional training, and four to six years of progressively responsible, directly related experience.
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
- Experience managing Mass storage system operations and design (specifically NetApp and HDS systems) including, but not limited to:
- data replication
- enterprise backup systems
- data replication
- Strong understanding of System design and integration with a thorough familiarity with three-tiered web architecture
- Strong technical knowledge in Unix, Linux or Windows operating systems
- Ability to participate in the on-call process, readiness to work off hours in known peak situations
- Understanding of the academic environment
- Understanding of security
- Strong customer service orientation
- Problem solving and analytic skills
- Ability to travel when required
- Strong UNIX Shell Scripting experience (Korn, Bash, Perl, etc.)
- Good technical writing skills
If you are interested in joining the College Board and you meet our qualifications, we encourage you to APPLY by following the link below to send us your resume and a brief introductory cover letter that includes salary expectations.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Boards mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.
Areas of Expertise Systems Engineering
Highest Level of Education Bachelor's Degree
Job Type Full Time
Location Reston, VA
Years of Relevant Experience 4-5