Habitat for Humanity Prince William County is seeking a seasoned fundraising professional to serve as Development Director in its Manassas office.
Mission: The Development Director helps the Board of Directors and President/CEO mobilize resources and steward them faithfully so that Habitat for Humanity Prince William County meets its strategic goal to provide safe and decent housing to more families in Prince William County, Manassas and Manassas Park through its Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative program.
Position Summary: This position is responsible for coordinating all aspects of fund development with a focus on individual giving; major gifts; faith, community and organizational giving; and sponsorship acquisition. The candidate will identify, organize and manage fundraising activities that expand the donor base, deepen the commitment of existing donors, and build sustainable funding.
· Write, implement and evaluate an annual development plan with the intent to expand the individual donor base, grow support from major donors, increase support from existing donors and identify and pursue new sources of corporate and foundation funding
· Explore the development of a Special Projects Campaign, and endowment and planned giving approaches
· Direct and support the fundraising efforts of the Board, volunteers and staff
· Develop and implement annual giving programs, including but not limited to direct mail, matching gifts, monthly giving and online giving
· Assist with the management and effective use of the donor database and ensure that gifts are properly documented and acknowledged on receipt
· Communicate with donors in a timely, effective way, ensuring that all reporting and application deadlines are met and that donors receive appropriate recognition and acknowledgements
· Support volunteer committees related to fund development
· Assist with development of the annual budget
· Provide accurate development reports to management and board
· Attend and participate in appropriate committee, Board meetings, staff retreats and HFHI conferences and training
· Engage in face-to-face communication with donors and prospects individually and through events
· Assist with grant research, writing, compliance and reporting as needed
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must understand and appreciate the mission of Habitat for Humanity. Qualified candidates must possess strong problem-solving skills and have the ability to work in a team environment, meet deadlines and multi-task. Demonstrated fund raising experience and success in securing resources from individuals, foundations and corporations is required. Candidate should be familiar with the key funding sources for non-profit organizations. The candidate must communicate clearly, tactfully, courteously and professionally with customers, donors, volunteers, staff members and the general public. An ability to understand and relate to diverse populations including those suffering economic hardships is necessary. An ability to maintain confidential information and exhibit high ethical standards is required. The individual must have the ability and willingness to establish and maintain effective and harmonious working relationships with staff, business and community leaders, vendors, donors, homeowners and volunteers. The individual must be capable of providing excellent customer service including: responding promptly to customer needs; soliciting customer feedback to improve service; and meeting commitments. The individual must exhibit objectivity and openness to others views; listen and get clarification; give and welcome feedback; contribute to a positive team spirit; and put success of the team above ones own interests.
Education and/or Experience
- Five or more years of resource development experience preferred; minimum of two years highly relevant experience required
- Four year college degree required
- Experience with e-Tapestry database is preferred
- Competency with Microsoft Office Suite of programs is required
- Experience in managing, training and motivating volunteers is helpful
- Knowledge of local business and faith community is helpful
Special Requirements/Work Schedule/Physical Demands
- Attendance at evening or weekend meetings, events and activities may be required
- May require work on Saturdays or Sundays
- A good driving record and possession of a valid Virginia Drivers License is mandatory
- Must pass background and credit checks
- Performs other related tasks as deemed necessary by the President/CEO
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in an office environment with limited exposure to dirt, dust and temperature changes. Work does require local travel and interface with the public. Working conditions are generally quiet.
Apply online using Apply Now button; or mail cover letter and resume to: Habitat for Humanity Prince William County, Attn: Hiring, PO Box 3111 Manassas, VA 20108
More info: habitatpwc.org/careers