Director of Engineering
Be Part of the Next Generation of Flight
Aurora Flight Sciences is a leader in unmanned aerial systems, with a fleet of innovative aircraft designed to empower small tactical units, and safeguard our borders. Aurora provides the capabilities and process controls of a large company with the "can do" attitude of a small company. Aurora's mission is to detect, protect and explore with technology at every altitude.
If you feel you are qualified, apply for this position, it could change your future.
Job Summary (basic job description):
The Director of Engineering (DOE) is the senior technical executive at Aurora that is charged with the development, evolution, and execution of the companys Strategic Technology Road Map. The incumbent is expected to be well versed in all phases of the Aerospace and / or UAV/UAS development life cycle and to be an active participant and contributor in the various design, gate, and readiness reviews as they relate to the products, systems, and services in the Aurora portfolio of technical competencies, core capabilities and products and services.
A key responsibility for the DOE will be to determine what the Company and Program requirements are (will be) and to align the Engineering Organization and structure to ensure that the company can meet all of its technical challenges and requirements, via both current workforce development as well as by recruiting external resources and employees. The DOE is also responsible for assessing performance and career development as well as assessing new technologies and processes and how they can best be leveraged across the engineering organization. The DOE is responsible for developing and maintaining an effective configuration management system including the Aurora Technical Note (ATN) system, and ensuring consistency in engineering approach between different groups and across different projects (i.e. guiding and reviewing engineering approaches being used).
· Develop, promote, evolve, and execute the companies Technology Road Map.
· Proactively participate in technical discussions, challenges, and issues
· Actively participate in systems design, gate, and readiness reviews, to include establishing a schedule and format for design reviews; and chairing reviews when needed or required.
· Ensure technical readiness of the Engineering Organization.
· DEEPlan and develop engineering tools and other group resources; hardware, software, books, etc.
· Develop and maintain a company-wide document control system.
· Plan staffing levels for the engineering group, and recruiting the appropriate staff.
· Career development for engineering staff, including reviews, guidance, continued education, conference attendance, etc.
· Institute engineering process improvement across the enterprise.
· Effectively manage Engineering operations plan and indirect budget activities.
Minimum Requirements (education and experience):
· MS or equivalent experience. PhD preferred, with 15+ years of experience within an aerospace engineering environment.
· Familiar with wide range of engineering disciplines needed for design and development of UAV's.
· Ability to work closely with and develop the Functional Managers .
· Expert at analyzing complex functions, procedures, and problems to find creative, logical, and effective solutions.
· Demonstrates experience with process reengineering techniques/tools.
· Experience with all forms of engineering tools (i.e. analytical, statistical, design, data collection, etc.).
· Strong interpersonal skills and business acumen. Is a compelling and articulate speaker in a variety of settings. Easily adjusts the message to match the audience.
· Superior engineering design skills. Understands tolerance analysis and design.
· Ability to maintain painstaking attention to detail, completing multiple or repetitive tasks.
· Ability to demonstrate a serious commitment to accuracy and quality while meeting goals or deadlines.
· Ideally the incumbent will be a recognized leader in the Aerospace Industry (i.e., AIAA Fellow).
· Must be a US Person (US Citizen or US Permanent Resident).
Aurora Flight Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer