Government Relations Consultant
Crime and Justice Government Relations Consultant
Founded in 2013, the Crime & Justice Policy Alliance (Alliance), a partnership of the American Society of Criminology and Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences, represents the joining together of the two largest American membership associations of scholars focused on the study of crime, delinquency, and the criminal justice system. The Alliance was founded to give voice to these scholars in matters of national policy, whereby the research knowledge and priorities of its membership can inform both administrative and legislative decisionmaking.
To support this work, the Alliance is seeking a Crime and Justice Government Relations Consultant, a savvy, flexible, expert with strong communications skills who will work closely with the Alliance and its members to shape discussions among influencers at the national level.
The Government Relations Consultant is a part-time freelance position. The Consultant will take direction from the Alliance leadership, develop relationships with policy savvy researchers, and make use of/coordinate with the Consortium of Social Sciences Associations, of which the Alliance is a member. S/he should have subject matter expertise in at least some of the issues that relate to the Alliance, which include crime statistics and crime prevention, policing, juvenile offending, corrections, and the reentry of prisoners into communities. S/he is expected to build a government relations outreach program that advances the Alliance and its member associations, including developing content, conducting outreach, and building relationships with current and new audiences on Capitol Hill and within the Administration. S/he will leverage the knowledge, data, and relationships of the Alliance and its scholars, and s/he will shape conversations and decisions among thought leaders who should know about the Alliance memberships work.
This is a unique opportunity to build a new program of visibility and engagement for the community of scholars studying topics of crime and justice.
· Act as government relations advisor and strategist on behalf of the Alliance
· Be familiar with the types of research and areas of expertise embodied by the Alliance membership; be poised to seize opportunities to bring pre-existing research to bear in policy conversations
· Develop and issue a monthly e-newsletter to Alliance membership summarizing relevant legislation and policy debates and advising on ways members can weigh in on those issues
· Develop and disseminate compelling content on key findings and knowledge developed by Alliance membership
· Conduct outreach with Hill staff, administration officials, and other governmental leaders to leverage the Alliances research and influence policy conversations on the national level
· Be able to translate the key findings of complex research reports to communicate to Members of Congress and their staff
· Develop strong relationships with Hill staffers, including those staffing justice-related committees and subcommittees in both the House and Senate
· Manage two annual briefings on the Hill to highlight Alliance membership scholarship and research findings
· Bachelor's degree in political science, public policy, the law, or in the field of justice policy issues
· 5-10 years of post-graduate employment in government relations, including in the area of justice policy and/or scholarly research; Capitol Hill experience strongly preferred
· Experience leading strategy development of an organization, including managing timelines and producing deliverables
· Strong verbal and written skills
· Strong project management and organizational skills
· Ability to form relationships with a range of people, particularly academic researchers
· Ability to understand and interpret research and data and translate it for mainstream audiences
· Demonstrated experience in MS Office, Word, and Excel. May require database management, such as for constituent relationship management purposes
Terms of Employment
The successful candidate will serve as a part-time freelance consultant and be compensated via annual contract (subject to renewal) for an anticipated level of effort of .50 FTE. Compensation commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com . Applications will be accepted through August 31, 2014.