The British Embassy in Washington, DC is one of the United Kingdoms largest diplomatic missions. This position is an integral part of a busy and dynamic Security Services team within the Embassys Management Department. This is a team of professionals dedicated to providing an efficient security service to the Ambassador and his staff, thereby supporting the full range of activity within the Embassy.
This position will provide support to the Chief Overseas Security Manager and locally employed Security Manager. The successful candidate will ensure that effective systems are in place, so as to manage security emergencies and keep all staff aware of security regulations and compliance procedures. This position will also be responsible for knowledge of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Security guidance systems, as well as established Embassy security procedures and protection measures.
- provide efficient security guidance and advice to customers
- ensure that security regulations are adhered to
- proactively identify and develop security best practice
- control access to the Embassy compound and Residence
- respond to and manage security situations e.g. fire and other emergencies
- supervise workmen and cleaners in restricted areas of the Embassy
- carry out security patrols
- monitor CCTV
- perform other duties as assigned
- at least 2 years of previous security experience
- ability to work days, nights, and weekends on a rotational schedule
- must have a proven track record of excellent customer service
- ability to display sound judgement and organisational skills
- ability to make effective decisions under pressure
- good communication and interpersonal skills are essential, as well as an ability to work as part of a team or independently
- proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite, including Outlook and Web Access
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
*A visas or NATO visas with EAD cards are acceptable at the Embassy, Consulates, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas.