Director, Marketing & Events
United Way Worldwide envisions a world where all individuals and families achieve their human potential through education, income stability and healthy lives. United Way advances the common good by recruiting people and organizations who bring the passion, expertise and resources needed to get things done. United Way's global mission is to improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities to advance the common good. We invite you to be a part of the change to Live United.
As the Director you will play a pivotal role in leading and executing on the marketing strategy and event production for the Learning and Conferencing team. As the Director you will lead the conferencing strategy for United Way Worldwide (UWW), and produces events and conferences that shift perceptions, grow relationships and build the capacity to drive United Ways mission. Success in the role is defined by ensuring that we are delivering meaningful events to the United Way network and our partners in community; that strategically align and drive UWWs strategy; position United Way as a leader in education, income, and health; and that our product and marketing mix generates the budgeted revenue and business results for UWW.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION: An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
Strategy & Planning
1. Lead the development and execution of UWWs conferencing strategy
2. Assist the long-term planning of appropriate venues, production budgets and related logistics to support production delivery and overall program goals
3. For large scale events (Community Leaders Conference, etc.), create and develop event design and themes to support and advance UWW strategic imperatives
4. Lead and/or participate in the planning process for large, medium and small scale events
1. Lead the development of marketing and communications plans for the L&C team and our primary product lines: conferencing, training (in-person courses and eLearning), knowledge management, and the Mary M. Gates Learning Center as a rental facility.
2. Work cross-functionally with UWW stakeholders to develop and deliver marketing plans and products for events to include website, print, e-communications, with a focus on priority markets.
Project Management and Event Production
1. Provide project management for events
2. Develop creative and overall production look and feel for event. Own the customer experience.
3. Research, vet and invite proposed speakers, always looking for United Way ties and in-kind services.
4. Oversee script development/process and manage speakers to include logistics, briefings, and rehearsals.
5. Work with United Way Creative Studio and/or production company to develop graphics, video or other event elements that require appropriate branding.
6. Provide on-site management for general sessions at events to include set up, technical direction, rehearsals, tear down and other oversight as needed.
7. Create production flows and schedules.
8. Create follow up product highlighting speeches for those not in attendance.
1. Work cross functionally with UWW teams to ensure consistent messaging, look and experience.
2. Manage the egos and relationships with important stakeholders.
3. Work with Presidents Office and other UWW Stakeholders on general session keynotes.
4. Collaborate with Creative Studio on themes, production, and design.
5. Assist with underwriting opportunities, especially those tied to conference awards or attendee elements.
1. Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to identify and develop new products that will accelerate UWW strategies and generate revenue
2. Develop new approaches to scaling existing products and events
3. Leverage social media and knowledge management platform to increase value and effectiveness of L&C products
4. Negotiate new partnerships and products
Vendor Contracting and Management
1. Create and manage RFPs for production, av, décor, security and other production or marketing related contracts.
2. Work to negotiate most favorable contract terms and manage the relationships to ensure that events are delivered on budget and in accordance with corporate UWW guidelines.
Other Duties as Assigned
United Way Worldwide is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities strongly encouraged to apply. If you are selected for an interview you will be contacted. Thank you.
At least five years of progressive experience in a similar role. Additionally, this position requires a minimum of three years of previous people management experience, and three to five years of experience in a leadership role. Excellent project management skills. Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, changing environment. Ability to work with all levels of staff. Excellent Microsoft Office skills.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA and we offer free parking and competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, 403b plan, paid time off, family sick leave and more.