Consular Associate (Temporary)
The British Embassy in Washington is seeking a Consular Associate to join our network team providing support to British Nationals in the United States. The successful candidate will provide front-line assistance to consular customers in person and by telephone.
This position is offered on a temporary, part-time basis working 28 hours a week, Monday to Friday, until October 31, 2014 but may be extended as operational circumstances dictate.
The British Embassy offers a range of services to British nationals visiting and residing in the USA. Our consular operation is busy dealing with emergency passport applications, delivering notarial services, as well as handling cases involving deaths, hospitalisations, mental health issues, and the arrest and detention of British Nationals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide consular assistance in accordance with current guidelines. This will include assisting other members of the team with general consular assistance duties including visiting British nationals in hospital or in jail and providing support to family members following a death, a child abduction or custody matter, and providing advice and assistance following a rape or sexual assault.
- Answer telephone, written, and face-to-face customer enquiries.
- Arrange appointments and prepare Emergency Passports.
- Collate and record statistics.
- Manage calendars, travel itineraries, and provide general administrative support to the team.
- Undertake a variety of routine office tasks.
- A high school diploma or experience in a professional support staff role in either the corporate or public sectors.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Must have good organisational skills and the ability to work efficiently and accurately under pressure.
- Ability to handle personal issues/information and deal with staff and clients in a friendly and sensitive manner.
- A good knowledge of multi-cultural Britain, its language, and geography.
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite.
- A valid driver's license and willingness to use your personal car for official duties (with expenses reimbursed).
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
*A visas or NATO visas with EAD cards are acceptable at the Embassy, Consulates, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas.