Under the supervision of the Sr Director of Accounting / Controller, this position holds the primary responsibility for developing and managing the internal audit processes, development of findings mitigation, remedial field training functions and acts as the HQ liaison between Internews Network and external auditors. Basic objectives include the support and maintenance of the internal control environment, providing risk mitigation support, and providing audit support for both internal and external audits that occur throughout the company. As an ancillary function, this position oversees the organizations fixed asset records and related external reporting. In addition this position may support a wide range of other duties within the Finance and Accounting Department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and execute internal audit program including establishing annual field office selections, prioritizing audit focus and partnering with field office management for set up and schedule of internal audit visits.
- Act as primary point of contact for external audits including tracking outstanding auditor requests and issues, providing supporting documentation and preparing management responses.
- Recommend and implement organization wide process changes, including mitigation measures and remedial training plans, to address findings from any audit, internal or external, local or corporate.
- Act as internal consultant to Program Management regarding accounting procedure and mitigation of audit risk, providing subject matter expertise and recommendations.
- In partnership with the Sr Accountant Reporting, Develop and execute the organization risk mitigation tools to allow management gauge the level audit, operational, and internal control risk associated with each field office.
- Maintain the fixed asset and nonexpendable goods lists for the organization and in partnership with the Sr Accountant Reporting, produce nonexpendable good list to funders as required.
- Maintain the HQ records of VAT expenses and refunds per USAID standard provision RAA12 and in partnership with the Sr Accountant Reporting, send the required VAT reporting to funders when required.
- Act as a subject matter expert on the accounting system to provide support to accountants and end users in adopting and learning procedures.
- International travel required up to 4 times per year
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting
- Four years of previous accounting experience, including 2 years of fund accounting with working application of OMB circulars A-122 and A-133
- One year experience working for an International NGO
- CPA, CMA or Graduate degree preferred.
- Intermediate expertise in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Proven ability to set priorities and manage time effectively.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving ability.
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an effective team member.
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple on-going assignments