Developmental Disabilities Nurse Coordinator
Title: Developmental Disabilities Nurse Coordinator
Assesses and monitors the consumer’s on-going health care needs in all programs for people with developmental disabilities plus monitors and clinically directs the LPNs assigned to the ICF/MRs to ensure the delivery of quality nursing care. Collaborates with interdisciplinary team members, including the Medical Director, to coordinate medical treatment. Promotes staff development regarding safe medication practice and provides training with a focus on health and wellness.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides general nursing care services within the legal scope of nursing practice and standards developed by the profession, Nurse Practice Act, and regulatory agencies.
- Uses professional nursing processes, including assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation, while carrying out nursing responsibilities.
- Monitors and clinically directs LPN nurses and ensures delivery of quality nursing care at the ICF/MRs. Monitors compliance with regulatory agencies and licensure requirements.
- Assesses health care needs of consumers through a variety of routine interdisciplinary assessments, and develops, implements, and evaluates individualized nursing and health care plans accordingly.
- Assesses candidates for admission in the ICF/MR. Coordinates health care requirements.
- Responds to emergency health care needs of the consumers. Participates in the on-call nursing rotation.
- Provides consultation to CR staff regarding health/medical concerns, as requested.
- Provide training for CR staff regarding medication management, infection control and other health/medical related subjects.
- Collaborates to develop guidelines/protocols for health/nursing/nutritional needs.
- Participates in interdisciplinary planning meetings and recommends changes in nursing and health care programs and/or in the care of consumers.
- Provides health care instruction and information to individuals and staff relating to the promotion of health and prevention of management of illness, disease, injury or disability.
- Perform special projects, as assigned by the Director of Nursing.
- Communicates effectively and clearly to all staff.
- Maintains professional conduct and appearance.
- Attends and participates in scheduled team and nursing meetings.
- Promotes continuous quality improvement and professional empowerment.
- Minimum Qualifications Required:
- Must be a Registered Nurse currently licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Two years experience in nursing.
- CPR/FA certified.
- Physical Demands
- Physical interventions, possible lifting and assisting with self-care.
- Programs for people with developmental disabilities
- Direct supervision by the Director of Nursing
- LPN nurses at the ICF/MR programs