Application Development Manager
Application Development Manager, Chronicle Innovation Lab
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy provide award-winning news coverage to professionals on college campuses and to nonprofit organizations around the world. The Chronicle is based in Washington, D.C. and offers excellent benefits including 24 paid vacation days a year.
We're looking for a technology leader for our Innovation Lab to work with The Chronicle's journalists, technologists, and business teams to create interactive and dynamic information-driven products. The Application Development Manager must inspire a product team to foster innovation, and must love to create fast, scalable code. The leader will work closely with the award-winning data and interactives team at The Chronicle.
The Chronicle Innovation Lab is where editorial, business, and technology teams create products and the key technology innovations that support them. These products range from big data news apps to new tools that make our journalism more compelling and useful to readers. The Innovation Lab also leads experimentation with new digital media frameworks and platforms. (You can see what this group has already created at http://philanthropy.com/americagives http://adjunct.chronicle.com/).
- Drive powerful collaborations of technologists and editorial teams to create innovative products for our audiences.
- Collaborate with our business departments on company priorities involving audience development and revenue.
- Collaborate with other technology team leaders on company best practices.
- Lead small, agile teams to create great applications and solve tough technology problems.
- Keep abreast of new technologies and implement these features into our microsites or standalone products when the technology suits our needs.
- Work closely with the editorial staff and data and interactives team to shape products developed by the Innovation Lab.
- Develop tools and templates to support a fast-paced news environment and create sustainable, repeatable design implementations.
- Seven years of CMS, CRM and architectural experience, with some project management experience.
- Experience with digital media technology and applications, especially with progressive data and journalistic applications.
- Experience collaborating with editorial and business teams to understand their needs and create great solutions.
- Expertise with dynamic Web publishing and database technologies.
- Currency with new, innovative technologies.
- Experience as a problem solver with strategic and analytical capabilities.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Experience with effective ways for journalists and technologists to do great work together.
- Knowledge and experience using GIT and AWS technologies.
- Self-driven, independent, with a healthy disrespect for the impossible.
- Experience working at a news organization is a plus.
- Experience working with marketing, audience development and advertising departments is a plus.
- Bachelors degree in computer science, journalism or related field.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with Application Development Manager in the subject heading. Candidates who fail to supply all three aforementioned materials will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education Inc. produces two newspapers and five Web sites, as well as newsletters and events. The Chronicle of Higher Education, (Chronicle.com) published since 1966, is the leading source of news, information, and jobs for college and university faculty members and administrators. It has a print readership of more than 315,000 and Web traffic of more than 12 million pages a month. The Chronicle of Philanthropy (Philanthropy.com) is the newspaper of the non-profit world with a print readership of more than 75,000 and Web traffic of more than 1.3 million pages a month. Arts & Letters Daily (aldaily.com) is a highly regarded guide to online articles about culture and ideas. It also produces CollegeRealityCheck.com and Vitae, the first online community dedicated to nurturing the careers of higher education professionals, at Chroniclevitae.com.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.