Positions Role and Responsibilities:
The Coordinating Center welcomes applications for the Housing Coordinator position. This vital support position is responsible for providing direct assistance directly to low-income persons and families with complex medical conditions and/or physical and mental disabilities in finding and securing accessible, affordable, safe and permanent housing throughout the state of Maryland. The Coordinating Center is currently seeking a Housing Coordinator with expertise and experience in Montgomery, Prince Georges County and Western Maryland.
As a member of our innovative Housing Team, the Housing Coordinator will work with consumers, service coordinators/case managers and other entities to effectively develop housing search strategies, assess housing barriers, locate affordable, accessible housing and housing subsidies, assist those who are in a housing crisis in finding both temporary and permanent housing, providing information, counseling, and assistance to persons seeking aid with housing problems in a variety of areas, including housing location, tenant-landlord issues, finance and crisis intervention. The Housing Coordinator will work directly with housing authorities, state and local housing programs, affordable housing providers, landlords, property managers and organizations involved in affordable housing. The Housing Coordinator will conduct site visits and maintain electronic records and submit regular reports on all housing related activities.
Positions Minimum Qualifications:
· Bachelors degree from an accredited four-year college or university required
· Minimum of two years documented experience working with affordable housing programs and low-income individuals and families with complicated medical conditions and/or physical and mental disabilities.
· Functional knowledge of local, state, and federal housing regulations, policies and programs (i.e. Housing Choice Voucher) required.
· Functional knowledge of laws and programs relevant to persons with disabilities (Fair Housing, SSI/SSDI, Medicaid, Food Stamps) required.
· Ability to operate/function independently with professional decorum exercising critical thinking and sound judgment in various situations required.
· Highly effective interpersonal and relationship building skills, computer literate, and excellent written and oral communications skills required.
· Ability to commute to various housing sites through the state of Maryland required estimated to average 50% of work schedule.