Academic Administration Classification:
Admin Office Specialist 3 Job Category:
Classified Staff Job Type:
Full-Time Work Schedule:
Full-time (40 hrs/week) Location:
Fairfax Campus Pay Band:
Salary commensurate with education and experienceCriminal Background Check:
Yes About the Department:
The Office of the Provost provides leadership and guidance to support and achieve the academic mission for George Mason University. The various colleges, schools and institutes rely on this office for programmatic support; policy expertise; and exceptional customer service. In addition, the Provost Office plays a crucial and high-profile role with the University's governing board, the Board of Visitors. About the Position:
This position provides administrative and executive scheduling support to the Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President and the Vice President for University Life. This position will support a variety of office functions for the Office of the Provost and University Life including, but not limited to: assisting in managing the Provost's calendar and daily schedule, assisting with the coordination of events and meetings, and making arrangements for meetings and delegations with both external constituents as well as internal faculty, staff and students. Responsibilities:
- Customer Service:
- Provide excellent customer service in a calm, professional and empathetic manner to all key customer groups, including but not limited to students; students' families; University Leadership and outside callers; Board members and potential donors;
- Intercept unscheduled visitors who are in need of further information, direction or interaction; redirect to other offices/functions/individuals as appropriate;
- Manage and direct outside visitors to appropriate resources and offices within the University;
- Assess when issues need to be escalated to those within the Office of the Provost or University Life; learn the functions of units in order to appropriately refer and follow-up; and
- Track and coordinate responses of student inquiries.
- Event Coordination and Support:
- Manage and schedule various events hosted by University Life and the Office of the Provost. Work with catering, room reservation system, University events, other departments on planning and coordination of events;
- Plan, promote, coordinate with other departments, and monitor special events and ongoing meetings (which may include retreats, reoccurring staff meetings, Advisory Board Meetings, annual events and meetings, etc.);
- Prepare meeting/event materials (agendas, nametags, etc.); attend meetings as requested and prepare notes/summary materials and follow-ups as necessary; and
- For events involving the President, work closely with the Office of the President's staff to provide all necessary and requested information accurately and on-time.
- Administrative Support:
- Work closely with the Operations and Administration Manager to manage the Provost's calendar and daily schedule; proactively resolving calendaring conflicts before they arise;
- Develop collaborative and collegial relationships with other administrative support personnel throughout the university to maximize work efficiencies;
- Respond to internal and external scheduling requests and ensuring that preparation materials are received in advance;
- As a member of the administrative team, serve as back-up scheduling and administrative support to University Life;
- Responsible for assisting with the preparation, creation, and maintenance of reports, documents, spreadsheets, and databases as needed, including but not limited to: list-serves, mesa, work orders and file maintenance; and
- Attend meetings as requested to serve as note taker and provide summary notes to attendees highlighting action items.
- Assist with the processing of reimbursements and foundation vouchers;
- Ensure state and GMU regulations; procedures and time lines are followed when performing all tasks including purchasing; use GMU P-Card and eVa to purchase various items; and
- Manage travel schedules, logistics and corresponding reimbursements for University Life and the Office of the Provost.
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Experience in a fast-paced executive office and demonstrated customer service experience required. Experience managing executive level calendars;
- Experience in higher education setting;
- Extensive knowledge of professional office procedures;
- Demonstrated computer skills to include Microsoft Office Suite and Zoom;
- Demonstrated writing and communication skills; and
- Ability to work under pressure; multitask; handle confidential issues; work well with others in a team environment; must have a professional demeanor.
Instructions to Applicants:
- Associate's degree in related field or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work and communicate with a diverse internal and external community in a professional manner; and
- Familiar with state guidelines for placing and receiving orders, reconciliation and processing reimbursements.
For full consideration, applicants must apply for Administrative Assistant (03353z)
; complete and submit the online application; and provide a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information. Posting Open Date:
November 20, 2023 For Full Consideration, Apply by:
December 7, 2023 Open Until Filled: Yes Mason Ad Statement
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason's diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.Equity Statement
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.Campus Safety Information
Mason's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at http://police.gmu.edu/annual-security-report/