Under supervision of the Procurement Manager, works independently to perform advanced professional procurement responsibilities. Provides work direction and supervises Procurement staff. Acts on behalf of the Procurement Manager as assigned on protests and other matters relating to the development and administration of construction, architectural, engineering, technology, and other professional and non-professional services procurements and contracts.
Examples of Duties
Performs advanced professional procurement and contract administration responsibilities with the supervision of procurement staff relating to the development and administration of contracts with the following assignments:
Provides guidance and support to Fairfax Water staff in the development and modification of specifications, defining requirements and recommending procurement strategies.
- Handles complex procurements through competitive sealed bidding, competitive negotiation, and other sourcing methods, for a wide variety of goods and/or services including construction, information technology, facility operations, human resources, and financial related contracts.
- Assists Fairfax Water staff with documenting and/or resolving non-compliance and/or performance issues with contractors.
- Reviews and approves procurement transactions and provides backup support in the absence of the Procurement Manager.
- Manages contracts, identifies issues and initiates corrective action when appropriate.
- Negotiates complex and/or significant contract changes with contractors. Assisting in the preparation of Board Items for contract awards.
- Assists in the development and updating of internal procedures, regulations, and policies in accordance with the Virginia Public Procurement Act, as amended.
- Develops, reviews, and modifies scheduled and ad-hoc reports for the Procurement Department.
- Coordinates with the SAP Team on modifications/reconfigurations to the necessary modules to create efficiencies in the procure-to-pay process for internal and external Procurement users.
- Supervises the day-to-day work of the Procurement staff, prioritizes, schedules, assigns and monitors work and performance.
- Works with’ Procurement staff on resolving complex procurement issues and finding creative solutions to meet business needs.
- Assesses job performance of individual procurement staff and provides input on performance reviews.
- Assists with the development, modification and administering of training to internal Procurement staff and Fairfax Water employees.
- May be required to testify in court to support Fairfax Water’s actions or interest in procurement or contract disputes.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or other closely related field and a minimum of six years of progressively responsible experience in managing complex procurements which includes information technology, construction, professional / non-professional services and management of awarded contracts or an equivalent combination of education, experience and knowledge.
- Three years of supervisory experience or project lead experience with the ability to plan, direct, and supervise the activities of projects and procurement staff.
- Experience in state and/or local government procurement for construction, architectural and engineering services, technology, facility operations and contract administration, and complex, high-cost purchases of other services and commodities preferred.
- Knowledge of Virginia Public Procurement Act, procurement policies, regulations, procedures, and procurement best practices.
- Knowledge of best practices in public procurement.
- Demonstrated skills drafting procurements, specifications, and contracts.
- Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB), Certified Public Procurement Officer (CPPO) or ability to obtain one of these certifications within two years (required).
- Experience negotiating complex and technical contracts, change orders, amendments and renewals.
- Exceptional writing and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated expertise in MS Office with a high level of proficiency in Teams, Word and Excel and experience creating and presenting PowerPoint or similar presentations.
- Experience in SAP or other Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems.
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment.
- Fairfax Water requires new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to legally required exceptions.