Summary Data Engineer, SME Arlington, VA
Are you ready to enhance your skills and build your career in a rapidly evolving business climate? Are you looking for a career where professional development is embedded in your employer's core culture? If so, Chenega Military, Intelligence & Operations Support (MIOS) could be the place for you! Join our team of professionals who support large-scale government operations by leveraging cutting-edge technology and take your career to the next level!
The Data Engineer (SME)
will support the Army Acquisition community's program office for Foreign Military Sales - Army Case Execution System (FMS-ACES). FMS-ACES is seeking to sunset its current system used for the management of Foreign Military Sales (FMS) cases, Centralized Integrated System - International Logistics (CISIL), an antiquated mainframe system built with Common Business Oriented Language (COBOL). Given its legacy platform and infrastructure, CISIL is unable to keep pace with modern technology and directives including migration to the cloud, cybersecurity defense, auditability, and financial compliance. The FMS-ACES program has been tasked with awarding a contract via an Other Transactional Authority (OTA) vehicle and delivering a replacement, state-of-the-art capability for managing the Army's FMS activities.
To support this program, the Data Engineer (SME)
will have extensive experience in leading and developing data products (e.g., architecture, design) within the system/software development life cycle from requirements definition to architecture, design, implementation, and test, through deployment and operations, and support and preparing data for analytical and/or operational uses within a defined organization, function, and/or application context. This includes an understanding and having the ability to apply/implement cloud-based data and database technologies, the ability to develop data architecture and design products, knowledge of multiple databases and associated schemas, knowledge and skills to apply data standards and best practices while adhering to applicable Department of Defense (DoD) laws, policies, directives, mandates, and guidance, including data protection of sensitive information (e.g. Personally Identifiable Information (PII) and Protected Health Information (PHI)), and the ability to reconcile data models and de-duplicating data stores. Responsibilities
- Lead and contribute to all aspects of data engineering activities within the software development life cycle, including the development of applicable technical documentation
- Lead and participate in analyses to determine the feasibility of achieving data engineering requirements given the limitations and constraints of the target solution
- Lead and participate in trade-off analyses as needed
- Define and develop techniques to integrate, consolidate, and structure data for analytical and operational use, including the ability to inform on data aggregation and associated security implications
- Identify data migration strategies to transition data from legacy systems and technologies to advanced, enterprise-based solutions and establish test data sets
- Reconcile data models and de-duplicate data stores where multiple exist
- Prepare strategic and tactical recommendations with sufficient rationale to advise senior leader decisions relative to the applicability and application of data technologies
- Ensure data and database changes are properly implemented and tested, including assessing the impact of requirements and physical changes to the data and database design
- Identify and resolve data issues throughout the development life cycle
- Ensure compliance with data and database standards
- Apply cloud-based data and database technologies, data standards, and best practices while adhering to applicable DoD laws, policies, directives, mandates, and guidance, including data protection of sensitive information (e.g., Personally Identifiable Information (PII))
- Identify and evaluate data engineering risks and provide mitigation recommendations related to requirements satisfaction
- Ensure alignment of data engineering activities with the overall program schedule, milestones, and required documentation
- Lead Data Engineering Working Integrated Product Teams (WIPTs)
- Maintain current and accurate knowledge of data engineering and data architecture. and data storage best practices
- Other duties as assigned
- Master's degree required
- 15+ years of relevant work experience (data migration efforts and use of associated tools)
- Working knowledge and application of DoD 5000 and 8000 series and Business Enterprise Architecture
- Agile SCRUM Master Certified
- Active secret clearance
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
How you'll grow
- Cloud-related certifications preferred
- Broad and deep set of engineering expertise
- Extensive experience in aligning systems engineering activities throughout the acquisition program life cycle phases
- Strong customer service and excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to listen and understand task descriptions and requests
- Ability to explain problem resolutions
- Ability to quickly respond to time-critical queries from leadership
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision or guidance
At Chenega MIOS, our professional development plan focuses on helping our team members at every level of their careers to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there's always room to learn.
We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the global, fast-changing business world. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their careers. Benefits
At Chenega MIOS, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our team members and offer them a broad range of benefits.
Learn more about what working at Chenega MIOS can mean for you. Chenega MIOS's culture
Our positive and supportive culture encourages our team members to do their best work every day. We celebrate individuals by recognizing their uniqueness and offering them the flexibility to make daily choices that can help them be healthy, centered, confident, and aware. We offer well-being programs and continuously look for new ways to maintain a culture where we excel and lead healthy, happy lives. Corporate citizenship
Chenega MIOS is led by a purpose to make an impact that matters. This purpose defines who we are and extends to relationships with our clients, our team members, and our communities. We believe that business has the power to inspire and transform. We focus on education, giving, skill-based volunteerism, and leadership to help drive positive social impact in our communities.
Learn more about Chenega's impact on the world.
Chenega MIOS News- https://chenegamios.com/news/ Tips from your Talent Acquisition Team
We want job seekers exploring opportunities at Chenega MIOS to feel prepared and confident. To help you with your research, we suggest you review the following links:
Chenega MIOS web site - www.chenegamios.com
Glassdoor - https://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Chenega-MIOS-EI_IE369514.11,23.htm
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/company/1472684/
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/chenegamios/
#Chenega IT Enterprise Services, LLC
Chenega Corporation and family of companies is an EOE.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Native preference under PL 93-638.
We participate in the E-Verify Employment Verification Program