DutiesThe Preservation Servicer:
RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Performs work to provide for: inspection, maintenance and preservation of vessels hull and topside coatings, including regular inspection of shipboard coatings, failed remediation involving scaling, scraping, and chipping; topside housekeeping on vessels including sweeping and trash removal, deck maintenance and repair, including of exterior surfaces.
- Works with a crew of mechanics, riggers, and laborers assigned in two major programs aboard vessels in the NDRF: deck and hull coating maintenance; and implementation of Marad's Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP).
- Has knowledge of the operation of various controls and levers to maneuver equipment, and lift/lower, adjust, engage/disengage components or attached devices.
- Has knowledge of proper hazardous material and hazardous waste management practices as it pertains to materials used in the course of work or found aboard vessels, and for hazardous waste generated at the Reserve Fleet.
- Performs assigned tasks with other work groups and completes the work safely, efficiently and harmoniously.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- You must be a U.S.Citizen and eligible for consideration.
- You must meet specialized experience to qualify.
- Required documents must be submitted by the closing date.
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date.
- SELECTIVE SERVICE: Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- PROBATIONARY PERIOD: You must complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
- PHYSICAL EFFORT: Potentially hazardous assignments are required. The work requires heavy exertion and is arduous at times, requiring excessive walking, climbing vertical ladders, kneeling, crouching, stooping, working in awkward positions on steel decks and in close quarters, frequent lifting of 50 pounds and infrequent lifting of over 50 pounds with assistance.
- WORKING CONDITIONS: The employee works outside in all kinds of extreme weather, e.g., heat, cold, precipitation, wind, etc. The equipment, tools, and tasks involve extreme care and use of protective clothing, safety gloves, ear plugs, safety glasses, or respirators to avoid severe injuries. The employee is subject to slippery surfaces, insufficient light and air, soot, dirt, dust, fumes and extremes of heat and cold. May work in cramped, smelly places and in spaces where asbestos and lead-based paint is present; danger to falling overboard or shock from electrical equipment; exposed to tripping hazards and subject to cuts and burns.
- DEU REQUIREMENTS: Applicants selected under delegated examining procedures may be required to successfully complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
Qualifications for the position are based on the education, training, experience, or other requirements that determine which applicants would be able to perform satisfactorily in the position to be filled.To qualify for the Wage Grade Preservation Servicer - 07
, you must have experience and/or training of sufficient scope and quality to perform the duties of a Crane Operator without more than normal supervision.You must have:
Your application will also be rated on the following job elements:
- The ability to perform general house keeping, apply coatings, and perform top side maintenance on ships.
- Ability to do the work of the position.
- Ability to interpret instructions, specifications, etc.
- Knowledge of materials.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.For additional information about applying to Federal positions, please click on the following link: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-policies/#url=e4
Students enrolled in a qualifying degree program can apply if the anticipated graduation date is within six months of closing date of the announcement. Graduation transcript must be received before start date.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement. If you do not meet the minimum levels in the ability to do the work OR if you do not meet the minimum level overall, you will be disqualified.Additional informationThis announcement may be used to fill additional positions if similar vacancies occur within 90 days of the issue date of the referral certificate.