RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Supervises children and youth ranging in age from 6 weeks to 18 years during daily schedule of indoor and outdoor activities and on field trips, outings, and special events.
- Plans, coordinates, and conducts activities for program participants based on observed needs of individual children and youth. Prepares and implements program options for children and youth with special requirements.
- Instructs team members in specific tasks and job techniques; makes available written instructions, reference materials, and supplies. Explains program guidance, procedures, policies, and directives to team members.
- Uses designated evaluation materials to ensure assigned area is in compliance with, Dept of Defense (DoD), and local installation standards. Ensures assigned area maintains standards for DoD certification and national accreditation or equivalent.
- Completes training requirements using approved service materials to include designated training modules. Performs other related duties as assigned.
QualificationsAll Candidates must:
- Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of appointment.
- Direct Deposit and Social Security Card is required.
- Meet qualification/eligibility/physical/background requirements for this position.
- Must have current health assessment which documents good mental and physical health, freedom from communicable disease, and immunizations in accordance with current Army and DoD policy including annual influenza vaccinations.
- A one-year probationary period may be required (either initially or upon conversion, if applicable).
- Successful completion of annual training requirements within the prescribed time frame and demonstrated on the job competence is required.
- May be subject to an irregular hour, evening and or weekends.
- For positions in Child Development Centers, possess and maintain the physical ability to lift and carry up to 40 lbs., walk, bend, stoop, and stand on a routine basis.
- Incumbent is legally required to report all suspected incidents of child abuse/neglect.
- Individual who has been trained will be required to administer routine and rescue medications prescribed by a physician to children/youth, perform CPR and first aid, and provide a reasonable accommodation to children/youth with a special need.
- Travel to on and off post locations may be required.
- Duties involve working both indoors and outdoors.
- Satisfactory completion of pre-employment background checks in accordance with AR 215-3, 2-15m., and a Childcare Tier 1 background investigation is required.
In addition, candidates must meet one of the following:
- Possess a high school diploma or GED certificate.
- Be able to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
Applicants that possess at least one of the following will be considered highly preferred and may be sent first for consideration.
- Two years of specialized experience working in a group program with children or youth plus an associate's degree or at least 60 semester hours with a major course of study (24 semester hours) with content directly related to the age group to which assigned, for example: Child Development Centers: Early Childhood Education/Child Development, Elementary Education, Special Education. or directly related behavioral or cultural science (developmental psychology, child psychology/sociology, sociology of the family, gender identity, parenting. General psychology/sociology coursework is not qualifying.
- Possess and maintain one of the following directly related to the age group of the position to which assigned: Child Development Associate (CDA) Credential, Military School Age Credential, Army Youth Practicum or other nationally recognized Youth Development Credential.
- A bachelor's Degree or at least 120 semester hours with a major course of study (24 semester hours) with content as indicated above.
1. Experience assisting with childcare or youth program national accreditation processes.
2. Experience participating in multi-disciplinary or higher-level child/youth program inspections.
3. Experience working with varying age groups (early childhood, school age, youth).
4. Experience leading or mentoring lower level childcare/youth program staff.Education
Proof of education is required at the time of application, if applicable. Please provide relevant transcripts to support your eligibility for the position. Note: Education must be directly related to the position to be filled (general psychology/sociology courses are not qualifying).
Please see the Applicant information kit for additional information on education. Additional information The original close date of 10/5/2023 has been extended due to a low applicant pool. Referrals may be sent upon request.
Area of Consideration
The Area of Consideration for this vacancy announcement is local commuting area of US Army Garrison Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD. (Military Spouse Preference (MSP) and Involuntarily Separated Military Preference (ISMP) Preference eligible candidates are included in the area of consideration.) Manual Application
- If you would like to apply manually, please contact the servicing NAF Human Resources (HRO) listed on this job announcement to request a copy of the manual application form. All completed manual application forms (along with resume and other supporting documentation) must be received no later than 3:00 pm CST on the closing date of this announcement in order to process your application in a timely manner.
Pay-Band (NF or CY) Allowances and Differentials
- Payment Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs are not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government's interest.
- This is a pay-banded position.
- Sunday premium pay may be authorized by the Garrison Commander. If authorized, only regular (full-time, part-time, limited tenure and seasonal) employees may be paid Sunday premium pay. When authorized, Sunday premium will be paid at the rate of 25% of the basic rate for all hours of non-overtime, when any part of the scheduled tour of duty is performed on Sunday (to a maximum of 8 hours per Sunday). Sunday premium will be paid at the rate of 25% of the basic rate for all hours of non-overtime, when any part of the scheduled tour of duty is performed on Sunday (to a maximum of 8 hours per Sunday).
- Night differential may be authorized by the Garrison Commander. When authorized, night differential will be paid at the rate of 10% basic rate for hours of non-overtime work performed between 1800-0600.
- Additional referrals may be made from this vacancy announcement for up to 90 days after the closing date. For more information on working with Child and Youth Services, please go here (: https://www.armymwr.com/cys-careers/professions
- Please check out our Applicant Information Kit to view additional information you may find useful when applying for our jobs. (To view the kit, https://publicfileshare.chra.army.mil/Applicants/NAF%20Applicant%20Information%20Kit%20for%20Army%20NAF%20Childcare%20Positions.pdf
- Information may be requested regarding the vaccination status of selected applicants for the purposes of implementing other workplace safety protocols. For more information, visit https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/faq/vaccinations/ .