RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You will apply strong technical background in Active Directory, Microsoft Server 2008/2012 and/or Linux/Solaris.
- You will utilize expertise in system administration and security to maintain the USNA directory services.
- You will exercise strong project management experience to research and implement new system technologies, policies and procedures.
- You will apply well-developed interpersonal communication and writing skills to advise management at all levels regarding IT Security issues.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- This position is designated as a Cyber IT/Cybersecurity Workforce position. You must obtain and maintain the credentials as described in SECNAV M-5239.2 for specialty area Information Assurance level II within 12 months of appointment.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- This position may require travel from normal duty station to CONUS and OCONUS and may include remote or isolated sites. You must be able to travel on military and commercial aircraft for extended periods of time.
- You will be required to complete training, obtain, and maintain a government credit card for travel and travel-related purchases.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain a current valid United States driver's license.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- You will be required to complete training, obtain, and maintain a government credit card to make official government purchases for goods and services.
Your resume must demonstrate one year of information technology related experience in the federal service or private or public sector demonstrating the following four competencies, as defined: Attention to Detail
- Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail. Customer Service
- Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services. Oral Communication
- Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately. Problem Solving
- Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations. For the GS-12
In addition to the four competencies above, Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-11 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following: 1) Advising personnel on information technology (IT) concepts, principles, methods, and practices; 2) Coordinating the installation of new products or equipment such as servers; 3) Uses configuration management to document and control the functional and physical characteristics of a system, network, or product; and 4) Performs server administration duties using Solaris.For the GS-11
In addition to the four competencies above, Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-09 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following: 1) Performing software upgrades (e.g. security updates, virus updates, vendor software fixes-patches) to ensure continuous Information System operations; 2) Implementing IT security policies and procedures in the development and operation of network systems; 3) Initiating IT corrective or preventive actions; and 4) Assists with performing server administration duties using Solaris.You may also qualify based upon the education or the combination of education stated in the Education Section of this announcement.Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/#url=GS-CLER .
https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/2200/information-technology-it-management-series-2210-alternative-a/ Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.PHYSICAL DEMANDS-
The work is sedentary. No special demands are required to perform the work. Occasional lifting of computer components may be required, e.g. desktop CPU's, monitors, portable computers and equipment etc.WORK ENVIRONMENT-
The work is performed in a typical office setting. Special safety precautions are not required. Travel may be required within or outside the local region. EducationGraduate education providing the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the work of the position may be substituted for specialized experience as follows:For the GS-11 position:
Successfully completed a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree from an accredited or pre-accredited institution in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or, graduate education that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
Completed 3 full years (54 hours) of progressively higher graduate level education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree from an accredited or pre-accredited institution in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management; or, graduate education that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.A degree audit is not acceptable as a substitute for a transcript. Additional informationThis announcement uses the Certain Personnel of the DoD/Modified direct hire authority to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to certain positions in the competitive service.A 40-hour work week is typical of this position.This position is subject to work an uncommon tour, including nights, weekends, and holidays to meet mission requirements. Overtime or night differential pay and/or unusual duty hours may be required.
Recruitment incentives may be authorized to eligible new hires.
A relocation incentive is generally a single payment intended to offset some of the relocation costs experienced by the selectee. A relocation incentive may be authorized.
This position is covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
Several vacancies may be filled.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf .
Veteran's preference does not apply when selecting individuals under this specific hiring authority. However, if you claim veteran's preference, you will be required to submit supporting documentation with your application as described in the Required Documents section below.