RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Supervises children and youth ranging in age from 6 weeks to 18 years during daily schedule of indoor and outdoor activities and on field trips, outings, and special events.
- Plans, coordinates, and conducts activities for program participants based on observed needs of individual children and youth. Prepares and implements program options for children and youth with special requirements.
- Instructs team members in specific tasks and job techniques; makes available written instructions, reference materials, and supplies. Explains program guidance, procedures, policies, and directives to team members.
- Uses designated evaluation materials to ensure assigned area is in compliance with, Dept of Defense (DoD), and local installation standards. Ensures assigned area maintains standards for DoD certification and national accreditation or equivalent.
- Completes training requirements using approved service materials to include designated training modules. Performs other related duties as assigned.
QualificationsAll Candidates must:
- Direct Deposit and Social Security Card is required.
- Meet qualification/eligibility/physical/background requirements for this position.
- A one-year probationary period may be required (either initially or upon conversion, if applicable).
- Successful completion of annual training requirements within the prescribed time frame and demonstrated on the job competence is required.
- May be subject to an irregular hour, evening and or weekends.
- For positions in Child Development Centers, possess and maintain the physical ability to lift and carry up to 40 lbs., walk, bend, stoop, and stand on a routine basis.
- Incumbent is legally required to report all suspected incidents of child abuse/neglect.
- Individual who has been trained will be required to administer routine and rescue medications prescribed by a physician to children/youth, perform CPR and first aid, and provide a reasonable accommodation to children/youth with a special need.
- Travel to on and off post locations may be required.
- Duties involve working both indoors and outdoors.
- Satisfactory completion of pre-employment background checks in accordance with AR 215-3, 2-15m., and a Childcare Tier 1 background investigation is required.
- Must be 18 years of age at time of employment.
- Must have current health assessment which documents good mental and physical health, freedom from communicable disease, and immunizations IAW current Army and DoD policy including annual influenza vaccinations.
- Schedule may include irregular hours, evenings, and/or weekends
- Successful completion of Lead Foundation Level training and annual training requirements is required.
In addition, candidates must meet one of the following:
- Possess a high school diploma or GED certificate.
- Be able to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
Applicants that possess at least one of the following will be considered highly preferred and may be sent first for consideration.
- Two years of specialized experience working in a group program with children or youth plus an associate's degree or at least 60 semester hours with a major course of study (24 semester hours) with content directly related to the age group to which assigned, for example: Child Development Centers: Early Childhood Education/Child Development, Elementary Education, or Special Education.
- Possess and maintain one of the following directly related to the age group of the position to which assigned: Child Development Associate (CDA) Credential, Military School Age Credential, Army Youth Practicum or other nationally recognized Youth Development Credential.
- A bachelor's Degree or at least 120 semester hours with a major course of study (24 semester hours) with content as indicated above.
1. Experience assisting with childcare or youth program national accreditation processes.
2. Experience participating in multi-disciplinary or higher-level child/youth program inspections.
3. Experience working with varying age groups (early childhood, school age, youth).
4. Experience leading or mentoring lower level childcare/youth program staff.Education
Proof of education is required at the time of application, if applicable.All education documents must be in English or have a translated copy provided. Please provide relevant transcripts to support your eligibility for the position. Note: Education must be directly related to the position to be filled (general psychology/sociology courses are not qualifying).
Please see the Applicant information kit for additional information on education. Additional information In Person Hiring Event
Area of Consideration
- These positions are located at Fort Meade, MD.
- This announcement is in conjunction with a Job Fair on 13 December 2023 from 1000-1400 at School Age Center I, 1900 Reece Road, Fort Meade, MD 20755.
- You must apply on this announcement or attend the job fair to be eligible for the following Retention Bonuses: $500 after 6 months of satisfactory employment and $500 after 12 months of satisfactory employment.
- This announcement will be used to fill RFT positions.
- Walk-Ins are welcomed.
- Documents required; Resume, 2 forms of ID (1 picture), 2 references (1 supervisor), and proof of education (High School Diploma or Transcripts).
The Area of Consideration for this vacancy announcement is the local commuting area of Fort Meade, which is defined as Washington Local Commuting Area: District of Columbia- Maryland Local Commuting Area: Counties of Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Carroll, Charles, Frederick, Harford, Howard, Montgomery, Prince George's, St. Mary's and Washington- Virginia Local Commuting Area: Counties of Albemarle, Arlington, Clarke, Culpeper, Fairfax, Fauquier, Greene, King George, Loudoun, Madison, Orange, Prince William, Spotsylvania, and Stafford- Pennsylvania Local Commuting Area: County of Adams. (Military Spouse Preference (MSP), Involuntarily Separated Military Preference (ISMP) and Family Member Preference (FMP) eligible candidates are included in the area of consideration.) Proof of education is required at the time of application.
This is an open continuous announcement to provide a ready pool of available applicants as needed. Applicants will be referred to selecting officials when requested or as vacancies occur. Manual Application
Allowances, Incentives and PCS Costs:
- If you would like to apply manually, please contact the servicing NAF Human Resources (HRO) listed on this job announcement to request a copy of the manual application form. All completed manual application forms (along with resume and other supporting documentation) must be received no later than 3:00 pm CST on the closing date of this announcement in order to process your application in a timely manner.
- Allowances, differentials, or incentives will not be paid.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government's interest.
- Additional referrals may be made from this vacancy announcement for up to 90 days after the closing date.
- This announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies throughout the program. For more information on working with Child and Youth Services, please go here (: https://www.armymwr.com/cys-careers/professions
- Please check out our Applicant Information Kit to view additional information you may find useful when applying for our jobs. (To view the kit, https://publicfileshare.chra.army.mil/Applicants/NAF%20Applicant%20Information%20Kit%20for%20Army%20NAF%20Childcare%20Positions.pdf
- Information may be requested regarding the vaccination status of selected applicants for the purposes of implementing other workplace safety protocols. For more information, visit https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/faq/vaccinations/ .