As the federal agency whose mission is to ensure the fair and impartial administration of justice for all Americans, the Department of Justice is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. To build and retain a workforce that reflects the diverse experiences and perspectives of the American people, we welcome applicants from the many communities, identities, races, ethnicities, backgrounds, abilities, religions, and cultures of the United States who share our commitment to public service.
You will serve as an IT Cybersecurity Specialist, located in the Department of Justice (DOJ), Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO), Cybersecurity Services Staff (CSS).
This series covers positions for which the paramount requirement is knowledge of IT cybersecurity principles, concepts, and methods that involve ensuring the confidentiality, integrity, vulnerability and availability of systems, networks, and data.
Major commonly performed by employees in this specialty may include but are not limited to:
RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Planning, analysis, development, implementation, maintenance, and enhancement of information systems security programs, policies, audits, procedures, and tools.
- Develop and maintain system security documentation throughout all phases of DOJ Information System Security Documentation lifecycle.
- Facilitating compliance with all federal regulations such as Federal Information Security Modernization Act (FISMA) security categorizations, system security plans, system policy and procedures, privacy threshold assessments, contingency plans, and any other documents necessary to support systems' authorization and continuous monitoring.
- Ensures system security measures comply with applicable government policies and meet DOJ security orders.
- Leads or participates in vulnerability, risk and threat assessments, and other activities for ensuring security of information systems/equipment.
QualificationsTo qualify for the position of IT Cybersecurity Specialist, (GS-2210-12/13/14/15), you must meet the basic qualification requirements listed below AND possess the required specialized experience specific to the series and grade you are applying to. BASIC REQUIREMENT
- You must be a United States Citizen or National.
- You will be required to complete a pre-employment security investigation and background check which includes a drug screening.
- You may be required to complete a one-year probationary or trial period.
- Selective Service registration is required for males born on, or after, December 31st 1959. Those not registered should have an approved exemption on file.
- You must meet all eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement and continue to meet these requirements throughout the hiring process. Offers can be rescinded if requirements are not met.
- Additional selections may be made from this announcement, at any time, if similar openings occur in other offices serviced by Justice Management Division, HR Operations.
- Financial Disclosure: If selected, you may be required to disclose financial information in accordance with DOJ and Federal ethics guidelines.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of Justice will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- This position may require the candidate to obtain a Federal Acquisition Certificate for Contracting Officers Representative (FAC-COR) and/or Federal Acquisition Certificate for Program Manager (FAC-PM) within 12 months of appointment.
- Supervisory positions may require a 1-year probationary period, if not yet completed.
Applicants must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
- Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Your resume must also demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS 11 through 14 grade levels in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- Intermediate to Mastery level knowledge of IT cybersecurity principles, theories, and concepts, the infrastructure protection environment, interrelationships of multiple IT disciplines, and the Federal IT security hierarchy sufficient to implement higher level security requirements such as those resulting from laws, regulations, or Presidential directives, and integrate security programs across disciplines to define the scope and level of detail for security plans and policies applicable to the security program.
- Intermediate to Mastery level knowledge of the analysis, planning, design, implementation, documentation, assessment, and management of the enterprise structural framework to align IT strategy, plans, and systems with the mission, goals, structure, and processes of the organization.
- Intermediate to Mastery level knowledge of advanced IT cybersecurity, methods, standards, and practices sufficient to develop and interpret policies, procedures, and strategies governing the planning and delivery of services.
- Intermediate to Mastery level knowledge of procedures, tools, and applications used to keep data, or information secure, including public key infrastructure, point-to-point encryption, and smart cards.
- Intermediate to Mastery level knowledge of defensive measures to detect, respond, and protect information, information systems, and networks from threats.
- Intermediate to Mastery level knowledge of the tactics, technologies, principles, and processes to protect, analyze, prioritize, and handle incidents.
- Intermediate to Mastery level knowledge of computer network, desktop, and mainframe operating systems and their applications.
- Intermediate to Mastery level knowledge of procedures for developing technical and operational support documentation.
- Intermediate to Mastery level knowledge of the principles, methods, and tools for assessing vulnerabilities, and developing or recommending appropriate mitigation countermeasures.
- Intermediate to Mastery level knowledge of engineering concepts, principles, and practices, and of equipment, tools, mechanical devices, and their uses to produce motion, light, power, technology, and other applications.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/2200/information-technology-it-management-series-2210-alternative-a/
For all grade levels for this position individuals must have Specialized IT-related experience listed below.
Specialized Experience: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the federal service; experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSA's) and other characteristics to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled, in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization.GS-12 grade level:
One year of specialized experience (equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the federal service). Specialized experience includes: developing procedures and conducting systems security evaluations, audits and reviews of policy enforcement practices to ensure secure information systems reliability and accessibility; evaluating local Information System security programs to protect from unauthorized access.GS-13 grade level:
One year of specialized experience (equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the federal service). Specialized experience includes: developing policies, guidelines, and standards for the planning, development integration, implementation, and evaluation of information technology (IT) systems and subsystems that meet overall information needs of multiple major organizational units.GS-14 grade level:
One year of specialized experience (equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the federal service). Specialized experience includes: advising management on the development of policies, guidelines, and standards for the planning, development integration, implementation, and evaluation of information technology (IT) systems and subsystems that meet overall information needs of multiple major organizational units.GS-15 grade level:
One year of specialized experience (equivalent to the GS-14 grade level in the federal service). Specialized experience includes: acting as the Senior subject matter expert and management consultant on the development of policies, guidelines, and standards for the planning, development integration, implementation, and evaluation of information technology (IT) systems and subsystems that meet overall information needs of multiple major organizational units.
meet all qualification requirements by the date your resume/application package is reviewed.See the Required Documents section for important notes about what must be included in your resume. Education
This job does not have an education qualification requirement. Additional information
This announcement uses an OPM Direct Hire Authority to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to positions in the competitive service.Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
Telework eligibility and security clearance requirements may vary for such similar positions.
Positions may be filled at varying levels of leadership including Supervisor.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
Veteran's preference does not apply when selecting individuals under this specific hiring authority.
Notice of Result letters will not be sent to applicants who respond to this flyer.
Salaries for each grade level can be found at: Pay & Leave: Salaries & Wages - OPM.gov