As a General Engineer
you will join a DOT team comprised of transportation professionals and work on various transportation-related engineering assessments and design studies which are intended to evaluate and improve the safety and performance of all modes of transportation systems and infrastructure. This Direct Hire Public Notice will be used to build a list/inventory of applicants that may be referred as vacancies become available.
The studies and work efforts in these engineering positions are intended to provide opportunity to increase knowledge and professional growth. Complexity of duties increases with experience and grade level.
- Assists in performing specific portions of engineering assessments and design studies which are intended to evaluate and improve the safety and performance of all modes of transportation systems.
- Assists in performing engineering studies requiring application of established engineering procedures and analysis tools. These assignments are defined by established objectives.
- Assists in determining plans and designs for conventional and routine projects in the performance of the following: identifying project limits, providing design specifications to complete the work; preparation of preliminary designs; construction and design standards and codes; selecting the best solution from several precedence alternatives for performing portions of field work.
- Prepares technical reports and presentations outlining methods used, findings, and conclusions.
- Participates in meetings with co-workers and others, maintaining contacts with other professionals working in related areas for the purpose of gathering information.
The ideal candidate
is an entry level engineer with a degree in professional engineering and has a desire to manage complex transportation-related projects. Preferred engineering fields include general, civil, mechanical, environmental, computer, software, electronics, electrical, systems, architectural, geomatics, construction/industrial, and engineering management. You must have superb analytical, communications, leadership, and problem-solving skills and be able to excel in a fast-paced environment. INFORMATION SESSION:
Please see the USAJobs Events section to join an info session on this position. https://www.usajobs.gov/Notification/Events RequirementsConditions of Employment
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- You must be a U.S. citizen & meet specialized experience to qualify
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date
- Required documents must be submitted by the closing date.
- Direct Hire Authority will be used to fill this position
QualificationsTo meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must (1) meet the Mandatory Education Requirement for the series, (2) provide a copy of your transcripts or other applicable documentation for verification, AND (3) meet the specialized experience requirements for each grade. Please review the following information before proceeding with the application process: (1) All applicants must meet the education requirements under A or B to qualify for applying to an engineering position
- SELECTIVE SERVICE: Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- GOVERNMENT TRAVEL CARD: This position may involve travel. A government contractor-issued travel card will be issued and must be retained for official business only.
- PROBATIONARY PERIOD: Applicants may be required to successfully complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
- EEO STATEMENT: The Department of Transportation (DOT) maintains a model federal work environment that is free of discrimination. DOT ensures equal employment opportunity for employees and applicants for employment, regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, or protected activity.
- Drug Test: Drug test may vary depending on position.
- REMOTE WORK: This position may be eligible for remote work. If selected for a remote work position, you must have access to high speed internet and cell phone service meeting current agency standards from the approved work location within the Contiguous United State and sign a remote work agreement.
: Successful completion of a degree in engineering that: (1) has at least one program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET); or (2) that included differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced that first year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials; (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials; and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics; OR Combination of education or training: college level education, training and/or technical experience that has furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering.
The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following: Professional registration or licensure - current registration as an Engineer Intern (EI), engineer in Training (EIT), or licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE). Written Test - Evidence of having successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination, or any other written test required for professional registration by an engineering licensure board in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico. Specified academic courses - Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences which included the courses as specified in Paragraph A above. Related curriculum - Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in an appropriate scientific field, e.g., engineering technology, physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a bachelor's degree in engineering, provided the applicant had at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. There should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering type experience. This must be clearly described in your resume.
For additional information, please refer to the OPM qualifications standard for GS-800: All Professional Engineering Positions qualifications at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/files/all-professional-engineering-positions-0800.pdf. (2) Upload the appropriate document(s) to your application for verification purposes. (Refer to 'Required Documents' section for additional guidance)
Students enrolled in a qualifying degree program can apply if the anticipated graduation date is within six months of the closing date of this announcement. If selected, the final transcript must be received before your start date. Other applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.(3) Specialized Experience:
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must (1) meet the Education Requirement for the series, (2) provide a copy of transcripts for verification, AND (3) meet either the education or experience qualifications for the grade at which you are requesting consideration. To qualify for the GS-07 on Experience
, you must have at least one year of experience equal or equivalent to the GS-05 it must include:
To qualify for the GS-07 on Education alone
- Experience assisting higher level engineers in applying general engineering principles and practices and communicating findings both orally and writing technical reports or memoranda.
, you must have at least 1 year of graduate-level education OR
superior academic achievement.
- **Superior Academic Achievement is based on (1) class standing, (2) grade-point average, or (3) honor society membership.
- 1. Class standing -- Applicants must be in the upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, such as the College of Liberal Arts or the School of Business Administration, based on completed courses.
- 2. Grade-point average (G.P.A.) -- Applicants must have a grade-point average of: 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B" or better) as recorded on their official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B+" or better) based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum.
You can also qualify based on a combination of graduate level education and experience. This must be fully supported by your resume and transcripts, provided with your application. To qualify for the GS-09 on Experience,
you must have at least one year of experience equal or equivalent to the GS-07 it must include:
To qualify for the GS-09 on Education alone,
- Experience applying general engineering principles and practices and analyzing facts, conditions, and data to draw conclusions and make recommendations and communicating findings both orally and in writing technical reports or memoranda.
you must have 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or have been awarded a master's or equivalent graduate degree. You can also qualify based on a combination of graduate education and experience. This must be fully supported by your resume and transcripts, provided with your application. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs):
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas: Knowledge of engineering concepts and principles and a practical knowledge of conventional methodology to perform portions of large complex projects for transportation systems. Familiarity with computer methods of engineering analysis. Employee must use knowledge of a variety of materials and the physical laws governing them that relate to transportation elements and systems. Ability to plan, prioritize, and execute tasks to support overall project timelines, goals, and objectives. Skilled in making clear and convincing oral presentations. Listens effectively; clarifies information as needed. Ability to work collaboratively with a team.
For additional information about applying to Federal positions, please click on the following link: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-policies/#url=e4
Students enrolled in a qualifying degree program can apply if the anticipated graduation date is within six months of closing date of the announcement. Graduation transcript must be received before start date.
Other applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.Additional informationPLEASE NOTE:
This announcement establishes an open continuous (3 month) vacancy announcement. Given our continuing need for top professionals in this field, we will review applications after the first 30 days of the vacancy opening for early consideration. Then after, applications will be reviewed on an as needed basis. We will give equal consideration to all applications we receive.
This announcement may be used by any DOT agency to fill additional positions if similar vacancies occur within 90 days of the issue date of the referral certificate.Qualified CTAP/ICTAP candidates receive priority and will be referred to the hiring manager.
- This is a Direct Hire Public Notice for General Engineer positions and applicants may be referred as vacancies become available.