The Director for Health Solutions Management (HSM) Division is responsible for innovative clinical applications that supplement CPRS/VistA and Cerner systems. The Director provides national leadership in promoting new markets for browser-based or embedded products that smoothly work with both CPRS-based and commercial-EHR (Cerner) systems. The incumbent's responsibility is to advance a consistent standard of care across the enterprise by supporting the implementation and maintenance of electronic health record systems and associated systems. It is critical that the incumbent have demonstrated experience in enterprise, solution, and user-experience architecture in a way that minimizes IT-system complicatedness while accommodating clinical complexities and maximizing value. The incumbent will be a leader in rationalizing the enterprise portfolio of clinical IT.
- Leads product management (buy, build, or configure) of most clinical IT the supplements the VistA and Cerner EHRs
- Supports investment strategy and governance for health information technology by matching clinical needs to functional capabilities to technical platforms and solutions according to an architecturally guided roadmap
- Employs a value-based performance improvement framework that engages all relevant stakeholders, measures costs and outcomes, and feeds virtuous learning cycles. Develop an evidence base for best informatics practices for the division
- Develops appropriate organizational governance and operational practices concerning the management of clinical IT products. These may include policies, directives, handbooks, architectures, roadmaps.
- Engages in mutually beneficial collaborations with partners in the Department of Defense (DoD), other government agencies, industry organizations, professional associations, standards organizations, and other healthcare systems
- Interacts with senior VA clinical and technical staff, and represents VHA in briefings, presentations, or discussions on substantive electronic health records interoperability and VA data
- Leads, co-develops, and implements the following HSM plans: Vision and Strategic Plan, Communication Plan, Industry Engagement Plan.
VA offers a comprehensive total rewards package: VA Nurse Total Rewards Pay:
Competitive salary, regular salary increases, potential for performance awards Paid Time Off:
50 days of paid time off per year (26 days of annual leave, 13 days of sick leave, 11 paid Federal holidays per year) Retirement:
Traditional federal pension (5 years vesting) and federal 401K with up to 5% in contributions by VA Insurance:
Federal health/vision/dental/term life/long-term care (many federal insurance programs can be carried into retirement) Licensure:
1 full and unrestricted license from any US State or territory Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday, 8am - 4:30pm EST Remote
: This is a remote position.. Compressed/Flexible:
Available Relocation/Recruitment Incentives:
Not authorized Permanent Change of Station (PCS)
: Not authorized Financial Disclosure Report:
Not required RequirementsConditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- You may be required to serve a probationary period.
- Subject to background/security investigation.
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
- Participation in the seasonal influenza vaccination program is a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP).
- Participation in the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination program is a requirement for all Veterans Health Administration Health Care Personnel (HCP) - See "Additional Information" below for details.
Only candidates who meet the Preferred Experience listed below will be considered best qualified and receive further consideration.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy. English Language Proficiency. In accordance with 38 U.S.C. 7402(d), no person shall serve in direct patient care positions unless they are proficient in basic written and spoken English.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing ( ACEN ) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education ( CCNE ). The approving official may authorize a waiver of the requirement for ACEN or CCNE accreditation of any degree in nursing provided the college or university has regional accreditation from an accrediting body recognized by the Department of Education at the time of the candidate's graduation and the composite qualifications of the applicant warrant such consideration. In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- At least five years of leadership experience in informatics innovation and acquisition of applications that leverage EHR, patient engagement, and analytical platforms that provide clinical decision support.
- Facility in at least two of solution, segment, or enterprise architectures with the ability to lead conversations with IT leaders for the development of engineering/architectural roadmaps that guide development and acquisition of clinical and technical capabilities.
: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse V - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN (or a Bachelor's degree in a related field) and approximately 5-6 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree (preferred) in nursing or related field and appropriate basic or advanced certification desired, and approximately 4-5 years of nursing practice/experience.
Note regarding MSN degrees: If your MSN was obtained via a Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration, a BSN is not required.Reference:
VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.Physical Requirements:
The work is sedentary in nature. EducationIMPORTANT:
A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.Note:
Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html . Additional information
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Pursuant to VHA Directive 1193.01, VHA health care personnel (HCP) are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to such accommodations as required by law (i.e., medical, religious or pregnancy). VHA HCPs do not include remote workers who only infrequently enter VHA locations. If selected, you will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination before your start date. The agency will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request a legally required accommodation from this requirement using the reasonable accommodation process.
If you are unable to apply online or need an alternate method to submit documents, please reach out to the Agency Contact listed in this Job Opportunity Announcement.