RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Provide direct surgical support of a highly specialized nature to patients undergoing surgery including the newest and most complex, state-of-the-art procedures in multi-specialties.
- Select, assemble, and organize required supplies (setup, connect, test, operate drills, saws, etc.) and instruments for specific surgical procedures.
- Pass instruments and equipment to the surgeon during surgical procedures by anticipating the surgeon's needs.
- Verify whether the counts are correct or incorrect and communicate with the circulating nurse throughout the case to insure no items are retained in the surgical wound.
- Clean or terminate operating room after surgical procedures. Remove and properly dispose of soiled and/or contaminated linens/materials.
QualificationsWho May Apply: US Citizens
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- A Personnel Security Investigation is required.
- This position may require specific initial background investigation and periodic re-verification requirements since its duties may require interaction with children and youth under the age of eighteen (18) years of age on a recurring basis.
- Selectees will be required to sign a statement (Condition of Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations or must provide a recognized exemption.
- This position may be a Testing Designated Position subject to pre-employment screening and random drug testing. Selectees may be required to consent to participation in random drug urinalysis testing.
- Immunization screening is required. Hepatitis B immunization is required for all positions with direct patient contact. Applicants may be required to show proof of other immunizations depending on the type of position.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through the American Red Cross. Advanced certification (e.g., ALS) does not supersede BLS.
- This position may require rotating shifts (i.e. work schedule that requires employees to continuously rotate from one shift to another at predetermined intervals).
- This position may require the incumbent to work on any day or shift, including PMs, nights, weekends, holidays, or on an "on call" basis, necessary to meet mission requirements.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document .Qualifications for GS-07 Specialized Experience:
One year of specialized experience which includes assisting surgical providers in a variety of surgical procedures and preparing patient for procedure or setting up equipment/instruments for designated procedure.
This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-06). OREducation:
One full year of graduate level education in a field directly related to the work of the position, such as Surgical Technology.ORCombination of Experience and Education:
A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. To compute the percentage of the requirements, divide your total months of experience by 12. Then divide the total number of completed graduate semester hours (or equivalent) by 18. Add the two percentages.Qualifications for GS-08 Specialized Experience:
One year of specialized experience which includes assisting surgical providers in a variety of surgical procedures and setting up the various surgical equipment or instruments needed in the operating room. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-07).OREducation:
One and a half years of graduate level education in a field directly related to the work of the position, such as Surgical Technology. (Note: You MUST attach a copy of your transcripts.)ORCombination of Education and Experience:
A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. To compute the percentage of the requirements, divide your total months of experience by 12. Then divide the total number of completed graduate semester hours (or equivalent) beyond the first year (total semester hours minus 18) by 9. Add the two percentages. EducationFOREIGN EDUCATION:
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html . Additional information
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- Applicants whose application packages are received by the cut-off date will be considered first. Applicants whose application packages are received after the cut-off date and prior to the closing date will only be considered if the supply of candidates is exhausted and/or there are additional vacancies to fill.
- Management may select at any of the grade levels announced. This recruitment provides promotion opportunity to the target grade of the position without further competition when selectee is eligible and recommended by management. Duties described reflect the full performance GS-08 level. If not selected at the full performance, duties will be performed in a developmental capacity under close supervision.