RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Post-secondary student positions are provided opportunities for development and training. Assignments become more responsible as incumbent increases knowledge and skills through work experience and academic training.
- You will compile information or educational material in support of Navy Voluntary Education (VOLED) programs and answer inquiries of general nature regarding VOLED.
- You will correct discrepancies in student files for accurate record maintenance and ensure all transactions are properly documented.
- You will process Tuition Assistance documents and resolve problems or concerns to assist Sailors in meeting their academic or vocational goals.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- You will be required to support working various shift schedules (hours between 0600 and 1900).
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website:
Education Student Trainee Series 1799 (opm.gov) This position may be non-competitively converted to an Education Services Specialist, GS-1740-07/09 career ladder position after meeting all regulatory requirements (including qualification requirements), and upon the recommendation of management. Promotion is neither implied nor guaranteed.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. EducationApplicants must meet the following positive education qualifications requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualifications Standards Manual: For the GS-5:
Completion of 4 academic years of post-high school leading to a bachelor's degree or equivalent degree.For the GS-7:
Completion of 1 full academic year of graduate level education; or Eligibility under the Superior Academic Achievement Provision and completion of a bachelor's degree.
Post-secondary students being considered for initial appointments to positions leading to target positions with positive education requirements should be enrolled in directly-related degree programs in order to meet the OPM qualification requirements for the target position upon completion of their academic program.
Target position education requirements: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1700/education-services-series-1740/ Additional information
This announcement uses the Post-Secondary Students direct hire authority to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to certain positions in the competitive service.
Term appointments may be extended up to 8 years at the discretion of management and in accordance with applicable regulations. Additionally, you may be noncompetitively converted to a permanent career-conditional or career appointment under specific conditions.Post Secondary Students must be a currently enrolled in a full-time program at an institution of higher education as defined in 20 U.S.C. § 1001 and provide proof of continuous enrollment (i.e., documentation of registration or tuition bill from the college or university) at the time of application and have completed at least one full year of their academic program. Students must be in good academic standing with a GPA of 2.0 or greater and making satisfactory progress towards the receipt of a bachelor's or graduate degree.
Individuals selected for these positions may be required to sign and adhere to a program participation agreement and/or an individual development plan.
Post-Secondary Students on Term appointments may be non-competitively converted to a permanent, competitive service, career-conditional appointment upon completion of all academic program requirements. Conversion to a permanent appointment is not automatic, nor guaranteed.
Certain incentives (such as Recruitment, Relocation or Student Loan Repayment) may be authorized to eligible selectees.
A relocation incentive is generally a single payment intended to offset some of the relocation costs experienced by the selectee. A relocation incentive may be authorized.
This position is covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
Several vacancies may be filled.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf .
Veteran's preference does not apply when selecting individuals under this specific hiring authority. However, if you claim veteran's preference, you will be required to submit supporting documentation with your application as described in the Required Documents section below.