RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Duties include stock selection, stow, location survey, physical inventory, material handling, material examining and identifying, packing, and operating Material Handling Equipment (MHE).
- Receives, unloads and processes incoming shipments. Checks accompanying documentation against container or packing labels. Follows established procedures in reporting over, short, misdirected, or damaged materials.
- Packs and/or repacks a variety of items utilizing a wide variety of standard packing materials, methods and techniques. Determines appropriate method of packing based on the type of commodity/item to be packed.
- Assembles items for shipment in the loading area according to information provided on the shipping requests and checks the condition of shipping containers prior to loading. Ensures shipments are properly loaded onto the right conveyances.
- Counts types and quantities of items during inventories, and maintains tally listings during the count. Recounts or searches other storage locations to assist in determining the basis for over, short, or misplaced items.
- Operates one or more types of material handling equipment such as standard type forklift with a lifting capacity of up to 15,000 pounds, warehouse tractor, or general-purpose vehicle.
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Tour of Duty: Set Schedule
- Security Requirements: Non-Sensitive
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination, where reciprocity cannot be applied; unfavorably adjudicated background checks will be grounds for removal.
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Non-Exempt
- Selective Service Requirement: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service.
- Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
- Bargaining Unit Status: Yes
- Pre-Employment Physical: Required
- This position and any future selections from this announcement may be used to fill future vacancies for various shifts located anywhere within DLA Distribution Norfolk, VA.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a valid Material Handling Equipment (MHE) license.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain licenses and/or certifications required by the installation, federal, state, and local laws.
Applicants will be rated in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management Qualification Standard for Trades and Labor Occupations. Although a specific length of time and experience is not required, you must meet any screen-out element listed, and show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties at the level for which you are applying. Emphasis is placed on how you gained the quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time, and the required ability or potential to perform the job. Applicants who do not meet the screen-out element (SOE) will be eliminated from further competition. The SOE and minimum qualifications for this position is:
- Ability to do the work of a Distribution Process Worker without more than normal supervision
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.Physical Effort
Stands on hard surfaces for extended periods of time. Bending, stooping, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions. Lifts and carries items weighing up to 40 pounds. Uses weight handling equipment or receives assistance from other workers for items heavier than 40 pounds.Working Conditions
Works outside and inside areas that are hot, damp, cold, drafty, and poorly lighted. Subject to cuts, scrapes, bruises, muscle strain, noise, abrasions, falls, and injury from falling stock. Wears protective clothing such as steel toed shoes, respirators, safety glasses and earplugs. Mechanized roller conveyors are often present and is a normal part of material routing and distribution. Must possess or be able to obtain and maintain all appropriate state and government licenses. Additional informationFor Important General Applicant Information and Definitions go to:
http://www.dla.mil/portals/104/documents/careers/GenAppInfoDef.pdf Reemployed Annuitants:
This position does not meet criteria for appointment of Reemployed Annuitants. The DoD criteria for hiring Reemployed Annuitants can be found at: http://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/140025/1400.25-V300.pdf INFORMATION FOR VETERANS
is available at: http://www.dla.mil/Careers/Programs/veterans.aspx . As of 23 December 2016, Military retirees seeking to enter federal service in the Department of Defense now require a waiver if they would be appointed within 180 days following their official date of retirement.DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE:
The Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) has established a Drug-Free Federal Workplace Policy. All applicants tentatively selected for DLA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with DLA for a period of six months. This policy extends to random testing for the use of illegal drugs by employees who occupy testing designated positions defined as sensitive in Section 7(d) of Executive Order 12564. The Defense Logistics Agency's Drug Free Workplace Plan's drug testing panel includes testing for the following illegal substances: marijuana, cocaine, opiates (codeine/morphine), 6-Acetylmorphine (heroin), phencyclidine, amphetamines (amphetamine/methamphetamine), methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA), methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA), oxycodone, oxymorphone, hydrocodone, and hydromorphone. ADVISORY: By using cannabidiol (CBD) products you are risking a positive drug test result for marijuana.