As an Attorney Advisor, you will, among other things, perform the following duties:
This Job Opportunity Announcement may be used to fill other Attorney Advisor GS-0905-12/13/14/15, FPL-GS-15 positions within the Office of the Secretary in the same geographical location with the same qualifications and specialized experience. RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Work on matters that can have an important impact on equity and the U.S. economy.
- Ensure that MBDA complies with applicable legal requirements imposed on its programs by statute, regulation, case law, Executive Order, OMB guidance, or controlling policy.
- Ensure the legal sufficiency of MBDA grant or cooperative agreements, including advising on legal matters regarding program design, competition and application review procedures, and post-award engagement and performance monitoring.
- Support MBDA in working with other U.S. Government agencies on coordinating federal programs and dismantling systemic barriers for MBEs.
- Coordinate with legal offices in other parts of DOC and in other U.S. Government agencies.
- Perform duties on a range of legal issues that will vary in legal and factual complexity, often of a novel nature, and with limited if any applicable precedents.
- Conduct research, develop legal strategies, and develop and present recommendations to policy officials.
- Thoroughly and thoughtfully research and develop legal options in a fast-paced environment with short deadlines.
Qualifications Basic Requirement for all grade levels:
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this position.
- You must successfully pass a background investigation. This may include a credit check, a review of financial issues, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use of possession of drugs.
- You must complete a two-year trial period.
- Selective Service: Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see https://www.sss.gov/)
- If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application.
- All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Drug Test Required: No
- License required: No
- Pre-employment physical required: No
- Bargaining Unit Position: No
- Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE form 450): Yes
- Permanent Change of Duty Station (PCS) Expense: will not be paid
1. You must be a graduate with a Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree or equivalent from an accredited law school; AND
2. You must have bar membership in one of the 50 states, Washington, DC, Puerto Rico or the US. Virgin Islands.Minimum Requirements:
The career ladder for attorney positions in OGC is generally GS-11 to GS-15. The minimum qualifications for hiring at each grade level (or equivalent) are as follows:
GS-12: Applicants at the GS-12 level should have one year of professional legal experience or additional relevant experience. This may include: relevant non-legal professional experience, a superior academic record, specific course work or an internship in relevant legal areas, or another graduate or doctoral degree. GS-13: Applicants at the GS-13 level should have at least two years of professional legal experience in a government agency, private sector entity, or non-profit organization. GS-14: Applicants at the GS-14 level should have at least three years of professional legal experience in one of the fields listed above in this section. Experience in federal financial assistance law or experience advising businesses on accessing capital or other commercial matters will be viewed most competitively. Applicants at the GS-14 level should also demonstrate the ability to work independently with lower levels of supervision. GS-15: Applicants at the GS-15 level must have at least four years of professional legal experience and a demonstrated expertise in federal financial assistance law or access to capital or other substantive issues facing businesses. Applicants at the GS-15 level must also have a demonstrated ability to work independently with minimum levels of supervision.
Applicants should have a demonstrated interest in federal financial assistance (grants) law; diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA); contracts law; administrative law; constitutional law; entrepreneurship or business development; or mergers, acquisitions, raising venture capital, tax, or other related issues facing small businesses.
We are seeking candidates with the following additional skills:
- customer-service-oriented approach to legal problems and solutions;
- strong research, editing, and writing skills;
- effective analytical and reasoning skills with respect to identification and recommended minimization of legal risk;
- professional communication skills needed to successfully engage with peers, colleagues, supervisors, and clients;
- ability to handle and be responsible for a variety of assignments with short, time-critical deadlines; and
- interpersonal communication skills suitable for successfully working on a team on projects that require legal analysis.
Familiarity or experience in DEIA or in issues facing small businesses is a plus, as is a demonstrated interest in public service and a demonstrated ability to meaningfully contribute to OCC-MBDA's workplace culture.
Salary and level of supervision will be determined based on the applicant's level of experience and expertise, in accordance with the following guidelines. For purposes of this position, professional legal experience may consist of paid or unpaid experience post bar-admission, including Federal or State Government experience, law firm or legal practice, judicial clerkship, and/or unpaid or volunteer legal work.Applicants may be hired at any of the grades shown in this announcement, commensurate with the candidate's experience and qualifications. You are encouraged to identify the grade level(s) or salary for which you wish to be considered. Education
See Qualifications Above.
Applicants must possess a Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree or equivalent from an accredited law school. Official or unofficial transcripts must be submitted with
your application package.Additional information
This position does not confer non-competitive conversion to the competitive service. Acceptance of an excepted service appointment from applicants in the competitive service will require a written statement of understanding when voluntarily leaving the competitive service.