West Creek 7 (12077), United States of America, Richmond, Virginia
Sr. Manager/Sr. Counsel - Shopping Marketing and Business Counsel
Capital One's Retail Bank and Premium Products Division is a leader and pioneer in the banking industry, and seeks to Change Banking for Good. Within that Division, Capital One Shopping operates a browser extension and mobile application that provide users with online shopping coupons, rewards, customized offers, and price comparison tools. To support this rapidly expanding business, the Capital One Shopping Legal Team seeks to add an additional Counsel to join our growing team. Experience in a particular industry or type of practice is not required for this role - only a willingness and excitement to learn and help build something new. We are looking for strong candidates that are excited by new challenges in a highly collaborative environment with a supportive and engaged legal team.
As Marketing and Business Counsel, you will work hand-in-hand with leaders on the marketing, operations, business development, and product development teams, supporting them as they seek to grow Capital One Shopping by acquiring new customers, expanding product offerings, and moving into international markets. In this role, you will help to identify risks and problem solve alongside a team of world-class professionals. You will meaningfully participate in building innovative digital products and help the business market its solutions in a creative and compliant way. You will find that the Capital One Shopping Legal Team is not a "check the box" function but instead an important voice and partner in all aspects of the business. You will discover a positive environment that values your insight, encourages you to take on new responsibility, promotes continuous learning, and rewards innovation and intellectual curiosity.
In addition to joining the Capital One family, you will embark on a rewarding and exciting career with an industry-leading innovator while teaming with a diverse group of individuals at an organization that cares greatly for, and gives back to, the communities that it serves. A successful candidate will display:
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Excellent communication skills
- Top-shelf judgment
- A desire to work collaboratively
- The ability to influence and drive consensus
- A successful track record of thriving in a dynamic environment
- The willingness to tackle new challenges and novel legal issues
- Providing strategic, clear and contextualized legal advice to marketing, operations, business development, and product development teams on a variety of complex issues and topics, with a focus on marketing and product development
- Developing and maintaining legal resources that are required for products, such as terms of service and other disclosures
- Collaborating with international colleagues and outside counsel to ensure compliance with applicable foreign laws and regulations
- Helping design and implement legal department and compliance processes to keep up with our growth and facilitate further expansion
- Translating laws, regulations, and legal requirements into actionable advice
- Building relationships and collaborating with business stakeholders in wide-ranging roles
- Understanding business needs and providing appropriate solutions to reach the desired goals
- Working autonomously, but also working collaboratively with other members of the Legal Department to provide advice in a consistent, well-reasoned manner
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
- Active member in good standing of at least one state bar
- At least 4 years of experience in a law firm environment, government, or as in-house counsel
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to influence others
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
- 5+ years of experience in a law firm environment, government, or as in-house counsel
- Experience in advising technology or financial services companies in marketing, regulatory, or product development matters may be helpful but is not required
Capital One offers a comprehensive, competitive, and inclusive set of health, financial and other benefits that support your total well-being. Learn more at the Capital One Careers website . Eligibility varies based on full or part-time status, exempt or non-exempt status, and management level.
This role is expected to accept applications for a minimum of 5 business days.
No agencies please. Capital One is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender reassignment, citizenship, immigration status, protected veteran status, or any other basis prohibited under applicable federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).