MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Education
- Graduation from High School or possess a high school equivalency certificate
- Five (5) years of advanced-level administrative support experience
- Experience providing functional guidance to lower-level support staff
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations. Mission Essential Designation
- In accordance with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority's Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) this job has been identified as critical to mission essential functions. Incumbents in this role may be required to report to or continue to work in the event of authorized office closings or service suspensions due to severe weather, natural disaster, fire, operational emergencies or related events.
The Senior Administrative Assistant provides customer and administrative service in the daily support of operational activities, ranging from routine to the most complex, in a variety of functional disciplines. The incumbent collects, reviews and analyzes complex and confidential information and creates reports, charts, budgets, and other presentation materials. The Senior Administrative Assistant responds to, or routes, priority or confidential inquiries from external or internal sources with correspondence or other messaging on behalf of the director. The incumbent schedules and coordinates meetings, travel, and other group activities. Also responsible for planning and scheduling work of other support staff in the delivery of clerical or administrative services. The Senior Administrative Assistant independently performs a wide range of complex duties under minimal guidance from the director. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision. Evaluation Criteria
- Interacts with customers and staff using professional, courteous interpersonal skills to provide optimum service.
- Ensures proper care of sensitive documents, including following procedures for mailings, handling, transmitting and communicating these documents. Establishes, maintains, and oversees filing system and records for the department to ensure compliance with Authority guidelines and best practices.
- Meets deadlines for generating reports, letters, memoranda and other assorted documents required to support the department.
- Develops and maintains calendars, provides phone coverage, opens, sorts, and distributes mail and e-mails. Handles travel arrangements for Managers in the department, providing administration of departmental travel budget.
- Prepares agendas and advisory memos to assure logistical support for assigned areas of responsibility, allowing comprehensive departmental planning.
- Compiles and analyzes information for inclusion in reports or presentation materials to provide essential information to the department.
- Engages in more complex duties to include database management for analysis, budgets, data entry and report preparation.
- Develops project plans and coordinates special projects to unify and advance departmental goals.
- Trains lower level administrative staff.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.