Job AnnouncementThis job opportunity is being re-announced. Applicants who previously applied for this job do not need to re-apply. *$2,500 Sign on Bonus*
Join the Park Authority and our nationally recognized team of professionals! The Fairfax County Park Authority (FCPA) is seeking Motor Equipment Operator to be a part of one of the most highly regarded park systems in the country. With more than 25,000 acres of parkland, nine RECenters, eight golf courses, three lakefront parks, and more, FCPA is an exciting organization to be a part of and there are many opportunities for staff to make a difference at every level.
Leads a three-person maintenance crew in the performance of a broad range of semi-skilled maintenance and grounds keeping tasks. Directs the work of a variety of tasks associated with mowing and grounds/park maintenance. Duties include completing minor repairs and maintenance of park facilities, playground equipment, picnic areas, walkways, fencing, signs, and other amenities; and removal of leaves, seeding, placement of sod, and making other minor repairs to turf surfaces. Mows and maintains specifically assigned park open areas and athletic fields. Supervises, evaluates, and ensures that staff has been trained in and follows safety requirements for equipment operation and maintenance procedures. Operates a tractor/bucket loader with attachments, mowers, and other equipment. Uses gas power equipment. Inspects and drives a county truck and trailer, and hauls equipment and materials. Informs supervisors of conditions requiring special attention. Maintains tools and equipment in good working order. Completes required documentation and daily work reports. Employee will report to 1410 Hunter Mill Road, Vienna, VA 22182.
Works u nder general supervision.
*Employees must sign an agreement with the hiring department and the Department of Human Resources to stay with the hiring department for a designated period of time. Illustrative Duties
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all- inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position job description.)
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Operates single-axle dump trucks and small trailers in the loading, unloading, and transportation of small motor equipment;
- Operates various small equipment such as tampers, chain saws, concrete saws, etc.;
- Drives a refuse collection truck, overseeing crew members, checking truck for proper operating condition, and making minor repairs;
- Performs maintenance on medium/small equipment and vehicles (such as checking and adding fuel, water, oil and air; checking the brakes and cleaning vehicles);
- May perform a variety of laborer tasks, such as digging, loading, snow shoveling, grass cutting, brush removal, asphalt leveling and raking, lifting, pushing, and other physical work;
- Ensures that appropriate safety procedures are followed when working near equipment;
- Reads and interprets engineering plans for utility location prior to excavation;
- May lead a small crew of laborers;
- Effectively communicates with employees, supervisors and customers;
- Engages in safe working practices and complies with safety programs and guidelines;
- Reports unsafe working conditions;
- Complies with safety competencies.
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all- inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Working knowledge of state traffic laws and regulations;
- Working knowledge of general maintenance of light motorized equipment;
- Working knowledge of computers:
- Skill in the operation of gasoline-powered construction, maintenance, or refuse collection equipment;
- Ability to perform light maintenance on this equipment;
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions;
- Ability to read and comprehend maps;
- Strength and dexterity necessary to perform all required tasks including lifting, stooping, bending, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions;
- Ability to work outside with regular exposure to severe weather, noxious fumes, high levels of dust, etc.;
- Ability to maintain effective relationship with customers, employees and supervisors;
- Ability to comprehend and comply to safety practices;
- Ability to lead the work of others.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to: Completion of the tenth grade; and two years of experience in the operation of medium/light motorized equipment.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- 2-3 years of maintenance, construction or related experience;
- Experience with equipment such as: skid-steers with attachments, tractor with attachments, riding mowers;
- Small equipment experience with chainsaws, weed-trimmers, edgers, blowers, walk-behind mowers;
- 3 or more years of experience with the repair and maintenance of outdoor maintenance equipment such as mowers, tractors and landscape equipment;
- 2 years of supervisory experience.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Driver's License (Required)
- CDL - Class A (VA) (Required)
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Ability to lift 50 pounds up to 75 pounds with assistance. Ability to use hand/power tools. Ability to operate grounds maintenance equipment and truck/trailer. All duties may be performed with or without reasonable accommodations. SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview; may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov