Serves as a senior expert in the field of cyber security and privacy with the Information Security Office, to include assessing cyber threats, responding to cyber incidents, responding to agency inquiries, and implementing and administering cyber security tools and systems. Works closely with our cloud engineering and security teams to design, implement, and maintain cloud security solutions for our enterprise. Should have a strong background in cloud security, container and virtual network security, and SIEM technologies.
Duties may include:
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
- Implement, administer, and support security systems to include host endpoint protection, data loss prevention, network-based intrusion detection and prevention systems, application layer firewalls, vulnerability management, forensics utilities, and other infrastructure deployed and maintained by the ISO.
- Design, implement, and maintain cloud security solutions and best practices.
- Participate in internal and third-party security assessments and audits requiring interaction with agencies to remediate discovered system vulnerabilities.
- Administer and use a Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) system and other security dashboards to monitor, research, and respond to cyber security related events and incidents due to data loss or system breach, malicious code, system configuration, or other issues.
- Coordinate daily with other Department of Information Technology (DIT) divisions and Agency Information Security Coordinators and IT Analysts, and external entities.
- Participate in fulfilling data searches to include legal electronic files preservation, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), other data requests, investigations, and forensics.
- Act as a general technical and operational advisor for cyber security on behalf of the ISO.
- Stay abreast of current and evolving cyber security trends and seek to acquire or maintain industry certifications.
- Support and respond to emergency IT events and support county emergency operations center activations as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for "Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to") Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in a computer or information science discipline, IT/cyber security, network or IT systems administration, engineering; or a bachelor's degree in a business or related field that has been supplemented by at least 24 credit hours of intermediate computer science coursework; plus two years of experience in information security systems, network, or cyber security work.NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Knowledge and experience with implementing and assessing compliance with information technology and privacy protection regulation and standards such as HIPAA, PCI-DSS, CJIS, VA Code and Federal PII protections, and other institutional technology standards and best practices defined by NIST, ISO 27000 series, OWASP, and SANS Top 20 Security Controls. Understanding and experience with network and security architecture, multiple operating system platforms, databases, web applications, and other evolving mobile and cloud technologies, to include but not limited to the following: malware inspection, traditional and application layer firewalls, VPN, identity management systems, data loss prevention, and network and host-based intrusion detection/prevention systems. Experience with identity management and other access controls.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Work is generally sedentary performed in a normal work environment. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview and may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov