Language access is a critical pillar of Fairfax County’s commitment to advancing racial and social equity. This position translates countywide communications and vital documents to provide meaningful access to the county’s program and services for members of the general public with Limited English Proficiency (LEP). Works u nder the Language Access Program Director’s supervision.
Essential functions of the position include:
- Translates, edits and proofreads countywide vital documents, including emergency communications
- Utilizes specialized translation software to build translation term base memory
- Conducts terminological research to establish consistent terminology and standardization
- Produces quality translation within given deadlines
- Reviews and edits translation work by other agencies and vendors
- Assists with reviewing multilingual content for accuracy, clarity and appropriate style
- Writes, edits, translates and produces audience-friendly social media content for many countywide topic areas
- Monitors opportunities for engagement
- Serves as culturally relevant and appropriate social media content resource for consulting countywide issues/campaign
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Spanish or Korean language proficiency is required for this position. Satisfactory score on technical translation assessment will be required. This position may be eligible for a monetary language stipend.
Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
The assigned functional areas of the position are language/translation services, communications, and/or social media management. Illustrative Duties
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position description.)
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Performs a wide-range of professional work in multiple administration functions within an organizational unit including analysis and project management;
- Performs a variety of technical and professional work related to monitoring and reporting on departmental business processes, activities, and outcomes;
- Conducts analysis and reporting of quantitative and qualitative data in order to track and monitor various business process indicators;
- Serves as the point-person and liaison within the department and with central county
- departments regarding a designated program and functional areas of responsibility;
- Prepares reports and presentations of analysis and findings.
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
- Knowledge of the mission, goals and objectives of the organizational unit, program or activities to which incumbent is assigned;
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques relating to various functional areas of business operation (e.g., personnel, budgeting and financial management, contract administration and management);
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques governing management, organization, operations and programmatic services;
- Ability to identify and describe a range of possible solutions for solving business problems;
- Ability to apply research methods to design studies and assessments, and statistical analysis techniques to identify patterns and trends in data;
- Ability to use word processing and presentation software to prepare documents, and to use spreadsheet and statistical analysis software packages to store, manipulate, analyze and present data.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for "Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to")
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in the field related to the assigned functional area; plus two years of professional work experience within the functional area.NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Spanish or Korean language proficiency is required for this position. Satisfactory score on technical translation assessment will be required.
This position is emergency/essential services personnel. (Required to report for duty during inclement weather and/or other emergencies.) PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Five (5) or more years of experience providing translation
- Knowledge of current best practices for both translation and interpretation services
- Experience managing social media content
- Experience using computer-assisted translation (CAT) software
- Experience using graphic design software such as Adobe Photoshop or Canva
- Intermediate level computer skills in MS Office Suite including Word and Excel
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to:
- Effectively communicate in both English and designated target language
- Produce accurate and creative content in a timely fashion
- Write sentences that maintain or duplicate the structure and style of the original meaning while keeping the ideas and facts of the original meaning accurate. Properly transmit any cultural references, including slang, and other expressions that do not translate literally
- Work management thinking into messages which can then be efficiently distributed via social media
- Work under tight deadlines
- Work effectively both independently and within a team
- Handle and set multiple priorities, processes, and demands in a dynamic work environment
Ability to input, access, and retrieve information from a computer. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel Interview and may include a practical exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity. This position may be eligible for a monetary language stipend.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov