Job AnnouncementThis job opportunity is being re-announced. Applicants who previously applied for this job do not need to re-apply.
Works as a detailed oriented team member with excellent communication and analytical skills to lead the finance and budget team. Provides comprehensive budget and financial management support across the department. Develops, executes, monitors, analyzes, and reports on the DVS budget. Provides monthly budget and actual reports, monitors expenditure and revenue trends, and prepares short and long-range forecasts to ensure agency maximizes resources and remains within appropriations. Develops resource allocation and cost reduction proposals and provides strategic budget guidance. Conducts financial analysis to review revenue/billing collection success and challenges and produces charts/tables/graphs to depict the results. Completes required deliverables for quarterly budget processes, fund statements and consolidated spreadsheets. Collaborates with staff from the maintenance facilities, Department of Management and Budget, Department of Finance, Department of Purchasing and Materials Management and others, as needed. Illustrative Duties
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position job description.)
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Participates in the formulation and documentation of agency fiscal policies and procedures;
- Oversees the maintenance of numerous fund/sub fund accounts;
- Reviews long range revenue and expenditures estimates to ensure availability of funds;
- Prepares or oversees the preparation of large agency budget;
- Researches budget, finance and procurement requirements, analyzes impact on current
- operations and recommends means of implementation.
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an-all-inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, methods, and practices of governmental budgeting and fiscal management and the ability to apply them to complex governmental systems;
- Considerable knowledge of federal, state and county policies, procedures, regulations and legislation impacting the maintenance of financial records;
- Ability to effectively supervise and coordinate the activities of staff;
- Ability to develop and implement fiscal policies and procedures.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for "Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to")
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in accounting; or a bachelor's degree in business administration or related field that has been supplemented by at least six credit hours of basic accounting principles and concepts; plus, four years of professional-level finance or business administration experience. A master's degree in a related field or CPA may substitute for one year of experience.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- The ideal candidate will have five years or more of progressively responsible experience preparing and administering a complex budget for a municipality;
- Five or more years of experience supervising administrative, paraprofessional and professional finance staff, experience completing transactions, reports and working in FOCUS/SAP;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel;
- Demonstrated ability to work with others in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment;
- Knowledge of accepted accounting practices and principles; and strong written and verbal communication skills.
None.NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check and credit check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Duties are sedentary in nature but require manual dexterity. All duties may be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home ( Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov