Job AnnouncementThis job opportunity is being re-announced. Applicants who previously applied for this job do not need to re-apply.
Reviews and evaluates submitted plans for compliance with codes and standards. Reviews may include plans such as: construction plans for site, fire suppression, fire detection, and smoke control for compliance with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code, the Fairfax County (Chapter 62) Fire Prevention Code, the Code of the County of Fairfax, the Public Facilities Manual, reference standards and department requirements. Prepares appropriate correspondence to architects, engineers, designers, installers, owners, contractors addressing any code-related deficiencies noted during plan reviews. Processes all necessary forms, computer entries, and logs in orders to record project time and comply with cost recovery mandates. Provides technical assistance to colleagues and other branches of the division by providing technical reports and evaluations. Obtains and maintains state certifications, such as Fire Protection Plans Examiner pursuant to Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) and Virginia Certification Standards. Illustrative Duties
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position job description.)
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Depending on the functional area of assignment:
- Performs all the duties of the Engineer II and as applicable;
- Interacts with external engineering and construction contractors, ensuring the best use of county resources and timely completion of projects;
- Mentors and leads less experienced staff in day-to-day business or for special projects;
- Reviews plans submitted by Architectural and Engineering (A&E) firms for county projects to determine if they meet design requirements, and compatibility with county standards, guidelines and operational needs;
- Provides project quality control for consultant designs and construction documents;
- Reviews and approves subdivision and site plans and associated plans/studies;
- Reviews operations for regulatory/permit compliance;
- Reviews and approves (or rejects with explanation) shop drawings and third-party quality control inspection reports submitted pursuant to "Special Inspections Requirements" under the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and the Fairfax County Special Inspections Program;
- Maintains project files and documentation;
- Conducts field inspections of commercial construction projects to verify compliance with associated building code requirements of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code;
- Reviews and approves plans in accordance with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code;
- Meets with customers to explain building plan deficiencies and reviews and processes subdivision plats, reviewing all revisions concerning access, street location, site distance, and traffic safety;
- May serve as a Team Leader;
- Conducts preliminary meetings with design professionals to discuss code issues related to their projects;
- Recommends revisions in the county Code and related documents;
- May administer the section in the absence of the supervisor;
- Attends meetings and conferences;
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
- Depending on the functional area of assignment:
- Knowledge of common methods and equipment used in engineering construction and of inspection methods used in reviewing such work;
- Knowledge of Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and the codes and ordinances which apply to building construction in Fairfax County;
- Ability to plan and coordinate the work of team(s) and/or subordinates;
- Ability to review construction documents, design requirements and compatibility with county standards, guides and operational needs;
- Ability to meet and interact with the public;
- Ability to prepare technical reports and to present findings in a clear and concise format;
- Ability to perform accurate computations and prepare neat and accurate field notes;
- Ability to use a computer for word processing, preparation of spreadsheets, e-mail, and presentation materials.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for "Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to") Graduation from a four-year college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technologies with a bachelor's degree in the appropriate engineering or architectural field; plus four years of progressively responsible professional experience in the appropriate engineering field.
Contingent upon the area of assignment, some positions within this class may require specific certification(s) prior to employment and/or the ability to acquire necessary certification(s) within a specified time period following employment. The certifications are identified in the position description and employment advertisement.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code, Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code, and referenced standards.
- Experience with review of building and tenant drawings for construction type, structural fire resistance, means of egress, and fire protection system requirements.
- Experience, including laboratory and classroom experience, with fire protection systems, water distribution systems, building construction materials, processes and techniques, fire alarm systems, (including circuits and devices), codes, and standards.
- Experience with engineering calculation techniques for occupant loads, egress capacity, exit access travel distance, hydraulics, fire alarm circuitry, and for structural fire resistance.
- Certification through the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) CORE Module and Plans Review-Commercial.
- Certification from either ICC or NCPCCI in Fire Protection Plan Review.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- VDHCD Fire Protection Plans Examiner (Required within 12 months)
- Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development Building Code Academy (CORE Module) (Required within 12 months)
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check and sanctions screening to the satisfaction of the employer. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Ability to lift up to 20 lbs. All duties may be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview; may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov