Under supervision of the Clerk to the Planning Commission, prepares documentation in preparation of Planning Commission meetings. Duties include:
- Maintains speakers list agenda for each assigned meeting.
- Prepares meeting rooms and coordinates meeting logistics.
- Attends Planning Commission meetings on a rotating basis, takes log notes, operates recording equipment, and serves as staff for Commissioners, other staff, and members of the public.
- Prepares documentation of Commission actions, meeting minutes, and letters/memorandums confirming actions following Planning Commission meetings.
- Updates the Planning Commission website to include such actions, as well as approved meeting minutes.
- Prepares date file records for Planning Commission meetings.
- Maintains working knowledge of Fairfax County Zoning Ordinance and Comprehensive Plan and planning and zoning processes in order to respond to telephone, email, and in-person inquiries from staff and members of the public.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Clerk to the Planning Commission or Agency Director.
- Schedule: requires attendance at scheduled night meetings.
Note: The assigned functional areas of this position are general administration, office management, logistics, customer service, and/or records management.Illustrative Duties
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position job description.)
Independently composes original correspondence (e.g., preparation of replies to non-technical requests) for the executive/work unit head's review and signature;
Coordinates data collection and provides information to others including executive/work unit head;
Explains policies of the functional area (e.g., purchasing, travel, and leave).
Performs/supervises several administrative functions (e.g., records management, reception);
Manages a small work unit;
Analyzes short-term administrative needs of the unit (e.g., status of supplies and equipment, determining if work order is needed);
Notifies relevant individuals of work progress and inquires as to its status.
Develops filing systems (paper and/or electronic);
Develops internal mailing processes and procedures;
Prepares non-routine responses to correspondence;
May supervise general administrative functions.
Oversees or resolves non-routine/difficult situations based on knowledge and interpretation of established policies & procedures;
Interprets county rules & regulations to employees, management, and the public using discretion as to proper application.
Serves as unit expert or lead over other clerical/administrative positions.
Prepares routine reports and statistics based on information compiled from various sources;
Determines report format and elements.Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
Knowledge and understanding of the programs or activities of the unit served, as well as of the county and departmental administrative guides;
Position may require knowledge of basic principles and methods of a technical or professional field.
Intermediate skills in use of applicable Microsoft Office Word.
Intermediate skills in the use of applicable Microsoft Office Suite software;
Intermediate skills in the use of agency specific software applications.
Ability to communicate well through written and oral means.
Ability to gather, integrate, and analyze simple data.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with both external and internal contacts.
Ability to maintain confidentiality and be sensitive to political issues.Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for "Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to")
Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to high school graduation and three years of experience providing administrative support in the assigned functional area(s).NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer. Additional Work Schedule Requirements: Ability to attend night meetings outside of regular business hours.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience working with a board, authority, commission, or committee.
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Word, Excel, and Outlook;.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Skills in notetaking, proofreading, customer service, and organization.
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion, interact in a friendly and customer service oriented manner.
- Ability to work independently with limited direction and to handle competing tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to update websites and utilize basic web development skills.
- Experience and knowledge using For the Record (FTR)/Digital Court Recorder (DCR) software or equivalent audio recording system, Foxit, and Diligent Board Books.
Duties are generally sedentary, performed in a normal office environment. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview and may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov