Dewberry's Resilience Solutions Group
is hiring for a Sr. Resilience Engineer.
This group features one of the first and most mature climate resilience engineering practices in the country, which uses a systems approach to evaluate risks and identify solutions to enhance life cycle performance of infrastructure systems and assets. Our team applies engineering, geospatial analytics, computational science, informatics, and planning disciplines to help our clients understand their hazard exposure and support risk-based decision making as part of capital program planning and delivery.
Dewberry is a leading, market-facing professional services firm with more than 50 locations and 2,000 professionals nationwide. What sets us apart from our competitors are our people. At Dewberry, we seek out exceptional talent and strive to deliver the highest quality of services to our clients. Whether you're an experienced professional or a new graduate, you'll have the chance to collaborate with the best and brightest and work on innovative and complex projects at the forefront of the industry. Our commitment to excellence stems from our personal integrity and from other defining attributes, which we call "Dewberry at Work," that have inspired our employees to be successful for more than a half-century.
- Serve as an enterprise-wide resource and thought partner providing guidance regarding climate resilience related to transportation, water, energy, and community facility infrastructure.
- Work with a national portfolio of clients to characterize hazard loads, assess operational risks, identify mitigation strategies, and align strategies to funding sources.
- Support the growth and maturity of Dewberry's Resilience Design Studio for multi-disciplinary risk mitigation and adaptation strategy development.
- Apply climate science to inform resilient sectoral planning and design processes, as well design manuals, policies, codes and standards.
- Lead projects for the National Academies, the federal government, state/local governments, and other agencies advancing the state of the practice for resilient design.
- Perform and interpret risk and vulnerability analyses of infrastructure considering multiple hazards (e.g., flooding, sea level rise, wind, and heat) and how climate change exacerbates those hazards.
- Work with Dewberry's service line practitioners to continue integration of resilience into our planning, design, and project delivery services.
- Contribute to benefit-cost analyses as a technical reviewer, technical leader, or mentor including climate business case assessments and FEMA BCAs.
- Collaborate with computational science and informatics colleagues on developing and implementing technology to increase efficiency, communicate effectively, and accelerate innovation. Lead and support the development of project deliverables including technical analyses, report development, project presentations and communicating findings to client and stakeholders.
- Manage resilience-related projects and tasks including oversight and responsibility for scope, schedule, budget development, a cross-disciplinary team, and client expectations.
- Assist in the development of proposals, statements of qualifications and marketing materials for climate resilience and adaptation project pursuits and business development needs.
- Mentor, develop, and support hiring of a team of professionals through an innovative and growth mindset, ultimately moving to a team lead role, to support a growing climate resilience practice.
Required Skills & Required Experience
- Bachelors Degree in Civil/Environmental Engineering, Systems Engineering, or related field.
- Robust technical capabilities in the areas of civil/environmental engineering, planning, and/or systems engineering
- 7+ years of professional experience demonstrating increasing responsibility and sphere of influence.
- Working knowledge of climate science data and industry trends and ability to apply it to a variety of projects and cases.
- Strong advocate for climate resilience with well-developed persuasive verbal and written skills.
- Ability to build trusting, productive relationships internally and with colleagues, clients and business partners
- Team builder who fosters a collaborative, people-centered environment with supportive feedback loops.
- Demonstrated record of successful project delivery to federal, state and local clients in climate resilience, water resources, hazard mitigation or related fields.
- Track record managing cross-disciplinary teams through multi-phase projects while managing client expectations through scope, schedule, and budget.
- Registration/certification appropriate for professional discipline preferred (e.g., PE, AICP, PMP, CFM, GISP, etc.)
Must have a valid driver's license, good driving record and ability to pass a driving record background check.
Don't meet every single requirement? At Dewberry we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workplace for our employees. So if you're excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the position description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may just be the right candidate for this or other opportunities.
*At this time, Dewberry will not sponsor a new applicant for work authorization.
*Dewberry is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation.
*Only recipients of an offer of employment from Dewberry, will be required to submit to a background screening which may include, but is not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, driving record check, criminal background check, and an investigative consumer report. These screenings will be conducted by Dewberry's background vendor of choice and will be conducted in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local law.