RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Assists in starting equipment via touch screen, adjusts and help operate a variety of automatic bindery machines containing multiple functions and station capabilities.
- Assists in combining electro-mechanically with other equipment and devices to produce a complete bindery and finishing unit that processes printed sheets into final books, catalogs, manuals, directories, magazines or other completed products.
- Assists in making needed adjustments to coordinate the multiple work stations on a single machine.
- Observes how to interpret job orders, which may be for one-of-a-kind materials; documents how to plan bindery operations utilizing the most efficient procedures and methods to meet job requirements to complete a combined finishing operation.
- Shadows Bindery Operators in inspecting the work-in-process throughout the manufacturing process of U.S. Passports, Passport related components, Smart Cards, and Smart Card related components.
QualificationsThis announcement will be open for 365 days (Standing Register) with an established cut-off dates; which allows acceptance of applications through the closing date of the announcement or until 400 applications have been received, whichever occurs first.
- U.S. Citizenship is Required.
- Must successfully pass pre-employment requirements prior to appointment
- Selectee must pass a background check prior to appointment.
- Males born after 12/03/59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Selectee may be required to serve a one year probationary period.
- Selectees must pass a physical examination prior to appointment.
- Physical Effort: This level of effort involves having to continually lift, carry, or handle printed materials and paper stock weighing up to 5 kilograms (10 pounds).
- Physical - Effort: Duties Occasionally, may be required to handle items or materials weighing up to 18 kilograms (40 pounds). Incumbent is required to have good eye-hand coordination and proficient vision.
- Physical Effort: The work involves standing for prolonged periods while operating or monitoring bindery machines.
- Physical Effort: There is frequent stooping, bending, and reaching to make machine adjustments, remove mis-routed materials, and other operational activities.
- Working Conditions: Work in well lighted, heated, and ventilated areas. The operators are occasionally exposed to low and high frequency noise generated by adjacent machine operations and vibrations during peak production periods.
- Working Conditions: The operators are also exposed to the possibility of minor cuts from paper materials and more serious injuries.
- Working Conditions: Duties are performed in a production environment that is well lit, heated, and ventilated. The area is exposed to low frequency noise generated by Production equipment.
The intent of this announcement is to establish a standing register of qualified candidates and refer for consideration when vacancies occur.*****Applications will be referred based on receipt of applications and established cut-off dates as follows:
: 02/23/2024 or when 100 applications have been reached, whichever occurs first. 2nd Cut-off: 05
/24/2024 or when 100 applications have been reached, whichever occurs first. 3rd Cut-off:
08/23/2024 or when 100 applications have been reached, whichever occurs first. Final Closing date: 10/25/2024****ONCE ALL SELECTIONS ARE MADE, THIS ANNOUNCEMENT WILL BE CLOSED WITHOUT FURTHER NOTICE.*****
To qualify for the position, applicants must meet the following requirements: SCREEN OUT ELEMENT #1)
: Ability to do the work of a Bindery Machine Operator(Production Technician) without more than normal supervision. Examples of training or experience needed include: 1) Experience OR interest for learning skills as an Bindery Machine Operator (Production Technician) without more than normal supervision; 2) The ability to follow simple directions; 3) The ability to work safely, dexterity, reliability and dependability; 4) Basic knowledge of mathematics (i.e. decimals, metric units) to understand dimensional requirements contained in job orders and to make adjustments as needed; and 5) Ability to use PCs for common applications, such as: spreadsheet programs, databases, and word processing.In addition to meeting the above Screen-Out Element above, the applicants will be required to successfully complete and pass a Hurdle Assessment Questionnaire/Tests prior to selection to measure the following aptitudes:
- Mechanical Principles
- Reading Comprehension
- Basic Computing Skills
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement to be considered. Education
Substitution of education in lieu of specialized experience may not be used for this grade level.Additional information***IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING HOURLY RATE***
Positions are being filled for shifts 1, 2 and 3 at this location (Shifts are determined by Management after selection). Note:
Tour of duty is four 10-hour days Monday-Thursday:
- Shift 1 Work Hours are (4/10 hour days, Monday-Thursday) 7:00am - 5:30pm
- Shift 2 Work Hours are (4/10 hour nights, Monday-Thursday) 5:00pm - 3:30am ***Salary for shift 2 will include the 10% night shift
- Shift 3 Work Hours are (4/10 hour nights, Monday-Thursday) 8:00pm - 6:30am ***Salary for shift 3 will include the 10% night shift differential
Employment of Relatives:
- YEAR 1 (85%) of Uprate Bookbinder @ $40.89 per hour
- YEAR 2 (90%) of Uprate Bookbinder @ $43.30 per hour
- TEAR 3 (95%) of Uprate Bookbinder @ $45.70 per hour
- YEAR 4 (103%) Uprate Bookbinder @ 48.11 per hour (Year 4, upon successful completion of Year 3, eligible for Promotion to the Full Performance level *SID Uprate Bookbinder, KB-4402-00)
Section 3110 of Title 5, U.S. Code, prohibits a Federal official from appointing, promoting, or advocating the appointment or promotion of a relative in the agency where the official is serving or exercises jurisdiction. In addition, Section 2302(b)(7) of Title 5, U.S. Code, makes it a "prohibited personnel practice" for a person in authority to "appoint, employ, promote, advance, or advocate for the appointment, employment, promotion, or advancement of a relative." For further information visit: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/5/3110 and https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/5/2302 Work Life Balance:
The GPO offers Transit subsidy for commuters using public transportation (Metro Bus/Rail, MARC, VRE, etc.).Background Investigation:
To ensure the accomplishment of its mission, the GPO requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo and successfully completed a background investigation for a Secret Clearance. This review could include financial issues such as delinquency in the payment of debts, child support and/or tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use or possession of drugs. Depending on the type of background investigation required, the security process may take between 6 weeks to 12 months.
The Agency may rescind the tentative offer if the candidate is unable to obtain an interim clearance.Schedule A: (Disability Appointment):
Documentation of eligibility for employment under Schedule A can be obtained from a licensed medical professional (e.g., a physician or other medical professional certified by a state, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory to practice medicine); a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist (i.e., state or private); or any Federal agency, state agency, or agency of the District of Columbia or a U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits. The letter must be printed on a "medical professional's" letterhead and signed.Additional vacancies may be filled through this announcement.