Center 1 (19052), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
Current PhD, Applied Research Intern - Summer 2024Overview:
At Capital One, we are creating trustworthy and reliable AI systems, changing banking for good. For years, Capital One has been leading the industry in using machine learning to create real-time, intelligent, automated customer experiences. From informing customers about unusual charges to answering their questions in real time, our applications of AI & ML are bringing humanity and simplicity to banking. We are committed to building world-class applied science and engineering teams and continue delivering our industry leading capabilities with breakthrough product experiences and scalable, high-performance AI infrastructure. At Capital One, you will help bring the transformative power of emerging AI capabilities to reimagine how we serve our customers and businesses who have come to love the products and services we build.
Participation in the program requires that you are located in the continental United States with in-person attendance at your assigned location, in accordance with Capital One's hybrid working model .This is a paid internship. This is a limited-time internship position, and Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position. However, a full-time Applied Research role, for which you may be considered upon completion of the internship (subject to business need, market conditions, and other factors) is eligible for employer immigration sponsorship.Team Description:
The AI Foundations team is at the center of bringing our vision for AI at Capital One to life. Our work touches every aspect of the research life cycle, from partnering with Academia to building production systems. We work with product, technology and business leaders to apply the state of the art in AI to our business.
In this role, you will:
- Join Capital One for a full-time, 12 week, summer applied research experience, discovering solutions to real world, large-scale problems.
- Engage in high impact applied research with the goal of taking the latest AI developments and pushing them into the next generation of customer experiences, or contributing to publications in this field.
- Partner with a cross-functional team of applied researchers, data scientists, software engineers, machine learning engineers and product managers to test and design AI- powered products that change how customers interact with their money.
- Leverage a broad stack of technologies - Pytorch, AWS Ultraclusters, Huggingface, Lightning, VectorDBs, and more - to reveal the insights hidden within huge volumes of numeric and textual data.
- Flex your interpersonal skills to translate the complexity of your work into tangible business goals.
- Partner with leading researchers to publish papers at top academic conferences.
- Develop Professionally through networking sessions, technical deep dives and executive speaker sessions from across Capital One.
The Ideal Candidate:
- You love the process of analyzing and creating, but also share our passion to do the right thing. You want to work on problems that will help change banking for good.
- Innovative. You continually research and evaluate emerging technologies. You stay current on published state-of-the-art methods, technologies, and applications and seek out opportunities to apply them.
- Creative. You thrive on bringing definition to big, undefined problems. You love asking questions and pushing hard to find answers. You're not afraid to share a new idea.
- Technical. You possess a strong foundation in mathematics, deep learning theory, and the engineering required for contributing to the development of AI.
- Determined. Strengthen your field of study by applying theory to practice. Bring your ideas to life in industry.
- Currently enrolled in an accredited PhD Program
- Completed 2nd year of PhD coursework by program start date
- Completed 3rd or 4th year of PhD Program
- PhD in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Computer Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Electrical Engineering or related fields
- Programming experience in Python, PyTorch, C++, and other deep learning frameworks
- Publications in leading conferences such as KDD, ICML, NeurIPs, ICLR, ACL, NAACL and EMNLP, or ICLR
- Focused area of research in one of the following areas:
- LLM Pre-training
- PhD focus on Natural Language Processing
- Publications on topics related to the pre-training of large language models (e.g. technical reports of pre-trained LLMs, SSL techniques, model pre-training optimization)
- Publications in deep learning theory
- LLM Finetuning
- PhD focused on topics related to guiding LLMs with further tasks (Supervised Finetuning, Instruction-Tuning, Dialogue-Finetuning, Parameter Tuning)
- Demonstrated knowledge of principles of transfer learning, model adaptation and model guidance
- Behavioral Models
- PhD focus on topics in geometric deep learning (Graph Neural Networks, Sequential Models, Multivariate Time Series)
- Contributions to common open source frameworks (pytorch-geometric, DGL)
- Proposed new methods for inference or representation learning on graphs or sequences
- Optimization (Training & Inference)
- PhD focused on topics related to optimizing training of very large deep learning models
- Multiple years of experience and/or publications on one of the following topics: Model Sparsification, Quantization, Training Parallelism/Partitioning Design, Gradient Checkpointing, Model Compression
- Deep knowledge of deep learning algorithmic and/or optimizer design
- Large Scale Data Preparation
- Publications studying tokenization, data quality, dataset curation, or labeling
The minimum and maximum full-time annual salaries for this role are listed below, by location. Please note that this salary information is solely for candidates hired to perform work within one of these locations, and refers to the amount Capital One is willing to pay at the time of this posting. Salaries for part-time roles will be prorated based upon the agreed upon number of hours to be regularly worked.
New York City:
$250,000 - $250,000 for Applied Research Intern
San Francisco, California:
$264,800 - $264,800 for Applied Research Intern
Candidates hired to work in other locations will be subject to the pay range associated with that location, and the actual annualized salary amount offered to any candidate at the time of hire will be reflected solely in the candidate's offer letter.
Capital One offers a comprehensive, competitive, and inclusive set of health, financial and other benefits that support your total well-being. Learn more at the Capital One Careers website . Eligibility varies based on full or part-time status, exempt or non-exempt status, and management level.
No agencies please. Capital One is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender reassignment, citizenship, immigration status, protected veteran status, or any other basis prohibited under applicable federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).