RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You will install, maintain, repair and modify boiler plant equipment.
- You will operate all equipment in a boiler plant to produce and control the amount of steam necessary to meet demands.
- You will ignite fires, put boilers in service, and close down boilers.
- You will adjust firing controls, fuel feeds, and air drafts for best combustion efficiency.
- You will collect samples of boiler water, perform prescribed tests, and determine amount of chemical to be fed into boilers for treatment of water control of corrosion and chemical concentrations.
- You will operate numerous auxiliary equipment, such as pumps, water heaters, fans and deaerating equipment.
- You will maintain logs, records and other plant data as required.
- You will perform operational maintenance and repairs on the boiler plant equipment.
- You will operate single or multiple fuel power boilers and auxiliary equipment in a steam or high temperature water boiler plant.
- You will answer all trouble calls and take the appropriate action.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain a current valid United States driver's license.
- You will be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination.
- You will be required to wear personal protective equipment such as helmets, gloves, coveralls, glasses, goggles, respirators and safety shoes continuously for the duration of the work shift.
- This position may require travel from normal duty station to CONUS and OCONUS and may include remote or isolated sites. You must be able to travel on military and commercial aircraft for extended periods of time.
Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most trade and labor occupations, you must show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the job elements and screen out listed below.This job has a screen-out element which will be used to determine minimum eligibility for this job. Applicants who do not receive a minimum of two points on the screen-out element(s) will be found ineligible.
The Screen-out Element for this position is: 1) Operating single or multiple fuel power boilers; and auxiliary equipment in a steam or high temperature water boiler plant to produce and control the amount of steam necessary to meet demands; 2) Performing maintenance and repairs to boiler plant equipment (Over hauls steam or High Temperature Hot Water (HTHW) boiler) and performing major repairs to all components of the boiler system. 3) Collecting samples of boiler water, performing prescribed tests, and determining the amount of chemical to be fed into boilers for treatment of water control of corrosion and chemical concentrations.
Applicants must meet the requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Job Qualification Handbook for Trades and Labor Occupations. Additional qualification information can be found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/federal-wage-system-qualifications/#url=List-of-Approved-Job-Elements
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. Additional information
This announcement uses the Certain Personnel of the DoD direct hire authority to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to positions in the competitive service.
This position is covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
This position is subject to work an uncommon tour, including nights, weekends, and holidays to meet mission requirements. Overtime or night differential pay and/or unusual duty hours may be required.
The position often requires irregular hours.
This position requires evening and weekend work.
Incumbent may be required to obtain and maintain certification as a Maryland Visible Emissions Evaluator if testing is provided.
Incumbent may be required to attend NOx/Combustion Optimization training if provided.
The incumbent must be able obtain and maintain cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification and be able to wear and use all required personal protective equipment (PPE) to meet requirements of duties being performed (safety glasses, safety shoes, earplugs, hardhat, etc.).
The incumbent is required to possess or obtain within one year, a valid Maryland Third Class Stationary Engineer license, National Institute for the Uniform Licensing of Power Engineers (NIULPE) Third Class Power Engineer license, or American Society of Power Engineers (ASQPE) Third Class Power Plant Operating Engineer license. Incumbent must keep their license current to hold this position.
Call back and emergency overtime are regular requirements of this position.
After normal working hours, on weekends and holidays the incumbent will operate the Emergency Service Desk. The incumbent will answer all trouble calls and take appropriate action.
Several vacancies may be filled.
Certain incentives (such as Recruitment, Relocation or Student Loan Repayment) may be authorized to eligible selectees.
A relocation incentive is generally a single payment intended to offset some of the relocation costs experienced by the selectee. A relocation incentive may be authorized.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf .
Veteran's preference does not apply when selecting individuals under this specific hiring authority. However, if you claim veteran's preference, you will be required to submit supporting documentation with your application as described in the Required Documents section below.