Senior Employee and Labor Relations AnalystAn Overview:
The Alexandria Department of Human Resources is seeking a highly qualified Senior Employee and Labor Relations Analyst who will be integral to the Department’s employee and labor relations mission. The Senior Employee and Labor Relations Analyst is responsible for a variety of functions including employee relations, labor relations, workplace investigations, and engagement with the City’s labor groups.
The individual in this role provides guidance and assistance to City agencies and departments; administers the grievance process and provides interpretation of grievance-related language and mandates; makes recommendations to the Employee and Labor Relations Manager, prepares and implements personnel policies and procedures based on Administrative Regulations, collective bargaining agreements, federal, state and local law..
The Employee and Labor Relations Team in the Department of Human Resources is a staff of four full-time team members who provide guidance, counsel and information to City government agencies on employment laws, regulations and policies to enhance the employee experience. The office is responsible for administering all collective bargaining agreements, grievance process and disciplines citywide.What You Should Bring:
Examples of Work:
- The ideal candidate will be someone with exceptional senior level human resources experience within a municipal, educational, private or nonprofit environment who understands the unique circumstances that are encountered. A demonstrated experience in advancing equity, diversity, inclusion, and multiculturalism within a complex organization. The ideal candidate should drive labor relations policy, processes, and practices to ensure effective execution and compliance. The incumbent is expected to exercise considerable discretion in carrying out responsibilities independently and with awareness of municipal government structure and culture and human resource issues and sensitivities. The incumbent should have thorough knowledge of human resources administration, experience developing, advising, guiding, motivating, and recognizing personnel, communicating effectively as well as stress, conflict, and crisis management. The ability to handle multiple projects, professional written and verbal communication, and interpersonal skills. Willingness to work a flexible remote schedule. Experience in employee relations and labor relations and policy formulation experience.
About the Department
- Participates in assessing and assisting all levels of citywide managers in employee relation issues;
- Participates in departmental initiatives to strengthen infrastructure to achieve optimal performance;
- Assesses employee engagement and directs the strategies/action planning process to positively impact employee engagement;
- Establishes partnerships with subject matter experts in the areas of organizational development, change management, diversity/intercultural development, strategic planning, performance management and other specialties as needed to a work environment citywide that supports the City’s mission and vision;
- Collects and analyzes data for short and long-range planning and evaluates services to make recommendations for improvement;
- Develops employee and labor relations program-related procedures, and processes;
- Administers the grievance process and provides interpretation of grievance-related language and mandates;
- Represents the Department in formal/informal hearings regarding labor relations issues and preliminary discussions with employee organizations;
- Represents the department effectively on equity issues in a variety of forums within the City and the region;
- Exercises sound, expert independent judgment, and political acumen within general policy guidelines;
- Exercises tact and diplomacy in dealing with highly sensitive, complex, and confidential issues and situations;
- Conducts and attends meetings as a Departmental representative;
- Provides guidance and assistance to managers at all levels citywide regarding State/City personnel regulations and procedures, and in resolving employee and labor relations issues and challenges;
- Participates in formulating and recommending policy on matters having citywide implications, assists in implementing changes policies and procedures, presents new or revised written standard operating procedures and monitors changes in State and Federal law affecting employee and labor relations.;
- Provides as needed, research of data processes and data analysis to establish/revise management methods and procedures to improve workflow, simplify reporting procedures, and increases efficiencies.
- Performs other related work as assigned.
The Department of Human Resources comprises a dedicated team of professionals working to support the strategic direction of the City government through the recruitment, development, and retention of a high-quality workforce capable of delivering public services in a complex and stimulating community environment. Through thoughtful planning and the diligent execution of work, the Department of Human Resources focuses on the critical needs of our dynamic organization and its employees. If you are curious for a broader view, click the City of Alexandria to learn more about our great City. Minimum & Additional Requirements
Minimum: Four-Year College Degree; five years of progressively-responsible human resources experience with a concentration in compensation and classification in the public sector, employee relations, or training; five years experience in Federal, State and City laws, ordinances, rules and regulations pertaining to human resource management; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.