Recreation Leader II - Senior /Teen Part Time Position
The City of Alexandria is in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter square miles in the city have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Part Time Permanent Recreation Leader II - Senior/Teen Recreation Leader.Overview
In pursuit of service excellence, this Recreation Leader II performs technical recreation work in the Division of Recreation Services. This position works as a Recreation Leader II at a revenue producing recreation facility and provides program activity information. This position will assist supervisors in promoting and marketing center programs and generating reports for administrative purposes. An employee in this position assists to ensure that all safety precautions and guidelines are followed. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work independently, work with other recreation leaders, the participants, and adults to provide a safe, fun, structured and engaging atmosphere. Responsibility includes
- Plans, Leads, and implements recreational and cultural activities and programs for senior and teen programs.
- Participates in staff meetings and in service training, workshop, planning of activities and updates to programs.
- Registers new participants using registration software, Rec Trac.
- Works creatively with colleagues to provide quality customer service and show accountability for your work responsibilities.
- Assists higher level Recreation Leaders and Recreation Supervisors in planning community and City-wide programs and activities.
The Recreation Leader II is part of a large multi-use revenue producing Community Recreation Facility and is involved in recreation programming. This includes the ability to lead recreational and cultural activities; instruct and guide participants utilizing the center; assist higher level Recreation Leaders and Recreation Coordinator/ Manager in the planning of a well-rounded recreation programming. This position is provided with opportunities and encouraged to attend meetings (Center/Division), professional trainings, and be involved in Division Committees and events.What You Should Bring
Each member of our team is accountable for the outstanding delivery of services to the community. You will work to meet the recreation needs of our community. The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with program participants and staff; provide leadership to participants in community recreational and cultural activities, and to ensure that activities are conducted in a safe manner. You will execute an administrative need that meets high standards of excellence. You will have the support of and work under the direction of the Recreation Manager.
You should possess independent judgment and initiative, enthusiasm, flexibility, creative, organize, reliable, excellent oral and written communication, and emotional intelligence. Your personal mission and values must align with those of the Department (below). You should also be available to work various hours which include days, evenings, and weekends.Recreation Leader II-Senior/Teen performance objectives (measures added for Talent Peak):
About the Department of Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities
- Leads assigned activities, instructs, and guides participants (70%-90% level of participation from seniors/Teens).
- Demonstrate exceptional customer service, verbal, and written communications (Maintain 100% satisfactory on experience survey).
- Be proficient with Microsoft word, Excel, Publisher, power Point and Rec Trac (Complete all assignments with 90% accuracy).
- Plan, organizes, and implement a wide variety of activities for Seniors/Teens in the recreation center (Maintain 100% satisfactory on experience survey).
- Works with neighborhood and community groups on matters of civic and recreational interest (Maintain 100% satisfactory on experience survey).
- Demonstrate the ability to multi-task with time management (90% accuracy based on completed assignments).
- Handles registration for Seniors/Teens, Supervises Community Center during the evenings and weekends (Maintain 100% satisfactory on experience survey).
- Operates a bus or passenger van to provide transportation for fieldtrips to Seniors/Teens and ensure all participates are register and fees are collected in a timely manner (Regularly meeting established standards - 100% level).
- Participate in staff meetings, Division meetings, in-service training/classes, and workshops (100% attendance for all meetings/Trainings).
The mission of Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities is to enrich the City of Alexandria by creating meaningful experiences through public space, cultural activities, and programming. The Department’s vision is to improve the well-being of every person in our community by connecting them to each other and their environment. The Department’s values are Integrity, Civic Responsibility, Continuous Learning, Equity, Exceptional Customer Experiences, and Safety. The City of Alexandria Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities received national accreditation from the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA). National accreditation requires park and recreation agencies to meet 155 standards representing elements of effective and efficient park and recreation operations. The department has adopted the Commonwealth Centers for High Performance Model for Organizational Excellence, practices shared leadership, and maintains clear workplace expectations.Minimum & Additional Requirements
High School Diploma and two (2) years of related experience or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. First Aid training.Preferred Qualifications
Two-Year college degree; experience working independently and/or as a part of a team, Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills, good customer service skills, excellent organizational skills with attention to detail, good knowledge of recreational programming, excellent oral and written communication skills.Notes
This position requires successful completion of a criminal records background check and drug screening prior to employment.