RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You will advise others based on your knowledge of software development methodologies and software engineering processes.
- You will work independently and interface professionally with other government agencies, contractors, and military personnel to meet established goals and schedules.
- You will organize and appropriately manage resources necessary to ensure completion of software development activities in a fast-paced and fluid environment.
- You will provide guidance based on knowledge of algorithms, programming languages, operating systems, data analysis and computer architecture to include proficiency with C++ and Git.
- You will perform analyses and problem-solving techniques to perform professional scientific/engineering work.
QualificationsFOR ND-04 (GS-12/13 equivalent):
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- This position is designated as a Cyber IT/Cybersecurity Workforce position. You must obtain and maintain the credentials as described in SECNAV M-5239.2 for specialty area Software Developer, Intermediate level within 12 months of appointment.
- This position is covered under the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA). Certification in the Acquisition Functional Area and category assigned to the position is required within established category timeframes.
- This position may require travel from normal duty station to CONUS and OCONUS and may include remote or isolated sites. You must be able to travel on military and commercial aircraft for extended periods of time.
Your resume must also demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the next lower pay band, ND-03 (GS-09/11 equivalent) or grade level in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following: experience as a professional scientist applying systems software engineering principles to design or develop warfare systems.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website:
FOR 1550 SERIES: Computer Science Series(PDF file)
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. Education
Basic education requirement for this series includes one or more of the following: For the ND-1550, Professional Computer Science Series.
- bachelor's degree in computer science.
- bachelor's or higher degree with 30 semester hours in a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer science. At least 15 of my 30 semester hours were in a combination of statistics and mathematics that included differential and integral calculus. Additional information
This position is covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
Several vacancies may be filled.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf .
Veteran's preference does not apply when selecting individuals under this specific hiring authority. However, if you claim veteran's preference, you will be required to submit supporting documentation with your application as described in the Required Documents section below.
ICTAP Applicants: To be considered well-qualified and exercise selection priority as an ICTAP candidate, displaced Federal employees must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a rating in the highly qualified category (score 85) or higher. ICTAP candidates must provide copies of all of the following documentation at the time of application: 1) agency notice; 2) most recent performance appraisal; and 3) most recent SF-50 or notification of personnel action that includes position, grade level, and duty location. Applicants who do not provide this documentation will not receive consideration as an ICTAP candidate. For more information about ICTAP eligibility please review the following link: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/unique-hiring-paths/federal-employees/ictap/
Military Spouse Preference applicants will be placed at the highest grade for which they have applied and are determined Best Qualified (BQ). A BQ military spouse possesses knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies comparable to others who meet the competitive referral criteria for the specific position.
PPP applicants will be placed at the FPL, if determined Well Qualified (WQ). To receive priority consideration, the FPL must be the same grade level or equivalent of the retained grade or the grade held immediately prior to separation.