Plano Town Center (31064), United States of America, Plano, Texas
Distinguished Data Scientist, AI Systems (Relocation to Plano, Tx required)
At Capital One, we think big and do big things. We are a Top-10 bank by deposits-a high-tech company, scientific laboratory, and a nationally recognized brand. Capital One was the first major bank to move to cloud computing and to publish APIs for the Open Banking future. AI is transforming every industry, at Capital One you will help shape how it transforms financial services
About the team
The Garage is an Innovation Hub within the Capital One Financial Services division with a vision to inspire innovation and transform customer experiences. One of our main focuses is delivering iconic products built using a wide range of cutting edge software technologies, AI/ML, analytical solutions, ML model build-out, and delivering disruptive scalable technology solutions. As a Data Scientist in the Garage, you'll be part of a team that's leading the next wave of disruption at a whole new scale, using the latest in computing and machine learning technologies and operating across large number of customer records to harness the power of AI in unlocking the big opportunities to improve customer experience
We are looking for an experienced Distinguished Data Scientist, AI Systems, to help us build the foundations of our AI Capabilities. You will work on a wide range of initiatives, whether that's designing robust, secure infrastructure, building large-scale distributed training clusters, deploying LLMs on GPU instances for real-time use cases, or supporting cutting-edge AI development, all in our public cloud infrastructure. This role will be an individual contributor with the following components:
- Customer first. You love the process of analyzing and creating, but also share our passion to do the right thing. You know at the end of the day it's about making the right decision for our customers.
- Innovative. You continually research and evaluate emerging technologies. You stay current on published state-of-the-art methods, technologies, and applications and seek out opportunities to apply them.
- Creative. You thrive on bringing definition to big, undefined problems. You love asking questions and pushing hard to find answers. You're not afraid to share a new idea.
- A leader. You challenge conventional thinking and work with stakeholders to identify and improve the status quo. You're passionate about talent development for your own team and beyond.
- Technical. You're comfortable with open-source languages and are passionate about developing further. You have hands-on experience developing data science solutions using open-source tools and cloud computing platforms.
- Statistically-minded. You've built models, validated them, and back tested them. You know how to interpret a confusion matrix or a ROC curve. You have experience with clustering, classification, sentiment analysis, time series, and deep learning.
- A data guru. "Big data" doesn't faze you. You have the skills to retrieve, combine, and analyze data from a variety of sources and structures. You know understanding the data is often the key to great data science.
The location of the role is in Plano, Tx (Dallas Tx metro area). Relocation will be offered for candidates willing to relocate.
- Bachelor's Degree plus 9 years of experience in data analytics, or Master's Degree plus 7 years of experience in data analytics, or PhD plus 4 years of experience in data analytics
- At least 4 years of experience in open source programming languages for large scale data analysis
- At least 4 years of experience with machine learning with the full ML development lifecycle using AI and ML frameworks and public cloud.
- At least 4 years of experience with relational databases
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
- Master's degree or PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience with a focus on modern AI techniques.
- 5 plus years of experience in AI Research
- 2 plus of experience with Deep Learning
- Experience with Generative AI models
- 6 plus years of experience with machine learning with the full ML development lifecycle using AI and ML frameworks and public cloud
- Experience with delivering very large models through the MLOps life cycle from exploration to serving.
- Familiarity with GPU clusters in the public cloud with tightly-coupled storage and networking.
- Experience with the complete stack for distributed training of large models including ML compilers, distributed training frameworks, and ML development frameworks such as Pytorch, Tensorflow, Lightning etc.
- Experience with one or multiple areas of AI technology stack including prompt engineering, guardrails, vector databases/knowledge bases, LLM hosting and fine-tuning.
- Authored research publications in top peer-reviewed conferences, or industry-recognized contributions in the space of neural networks, distributed training and SysML.
- Deep experience with working with applications that leverage LLMs and Foundation models (FM).
- Experience designing and implementing capabilities to support MLOps for foundation models.
- Knowledge of a broad stack of technologies - Python, Huggingface, VectorDB, Pytorch, ElasticSearch, Conda, AWS, and more - to reveal the insights hidden within huge volumes of numeric and textual data
- Experience builing machine learning models through all phases of development, from design through training, evaluation, validation, and implementation
Capital One offers a comprehensive, competitive, and inclusive set of health, financial and other benefits that support your total well-being. Learn more at the Capital One Careers website . Eligibility varies based on full or part-time status, exempt or non-exempt status, and management level.
This role is expected to accept applications for a minimum of 5 business days.
No agencies please. Capital One is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender reassignment, citizenship, immigration status, protected veteran status, or any other basis prohibited under applicable federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).