TRAFFIC SIGNAL REPAIR TECHNICIANAn Overview
The Department of Transportation and Environmental Services (T&ES) is seeking a Traffic Signal Technician to perform the day-to-day maintenance and operation of the City’s traffic signals and ITS equipment as well as perform emergency after hours work. The Traffic Operations Division is responsible for the operation of the City’s traffic control devices, parking meters and streetlights. The Traffic Signal Technician’s key responsibility is to maintain the City’s traffic signals, CCTV cameras, communications systems, and other related equipment in a good state of repair. This involves performing preventive maintenance, troubleshoot and repair of malfunctioning traffic signals, assisting with the construction of new signals, troubleshoot and repair of streetlights, CTV cameras and Fiber Optic and copper communications cable. This position will also help maintain emergency vehicle preemption and transit signal priority equipment. Lastly this position serves on a callback rotation to respond to emergency after hours calls. The city has over 250 traffic signals, about 30 CCTV cameras, and over 30 miles of fiber optic and twisted pair copper communications cable that the Traffic Signal Technician is responsible for maintaining.What You Should Bring
A mind for innovation, an appetite for challenge and a drive for meaningful work. The ideal candidate is forward thinking with the courage and ability to take risks to improve operations. Of equal importance is excellent electric circuits understanding and the ability to troubleshoot malfunctioning traffic signals. Interpersonal skills as well as an ability to self-learn as new technologies and equipment evolve is very important as well. The Traffic Signal Technician receives direction from the Traffic Signal Supervisor but needs the ability to self-manage.
The city is looking for a candidate that embraces the core values of the city: Respect
and Continuous Improvement
. The candidate should be open minded and treat others with dignity, embrace diversity and welcome individual perspectives, backgrounds and opinions, listen well and always exhibit civility. The ideal candidate is accountable for decisions and actions and follows through on commitments and works well with others. The Opportunity
- Helps develop policy and standards pertaining to the Traffic Signal and ITS programs.
- Seeks to improve program effectiveness by evaluating existing operations and making changes as appropriate.
- Manages multiple new signal and signal upgrade projects.
- Manages the ongoing maintenance of the City’s traffic signals, CCTV cameras, communications system as well as other ITS devices.
- Coordinates with other divisions and City Departments to align the goals of the Traffic Operation’s Division with other City programs.
- Works with contractors, developers, and others to implement projects.
- Coordinates traffic signal and streetlight repair with staff.
- Troubleshoots and repairs traffic signals, CCTV systems, communications systems, and other equipment.
- Develops long and intermediate term plans to maintain the City’s traffic signals in a good state of repair.
- Procures equipment and supplies.
- Performs related work as required.
T&ES is a community partner in shaping a livable, green, and prospering Alexandria. We plan, build, operate, and maintain transportation systems and infrastructure that improve mobility and provide people and businesses with core public services. The work we do keeps Alexandrians moving, growing sustainability, and thriving. If you are curious for a broader view of our City, click City of Alexandria to learn more.Minimum & Additional RequirementsThe Ideal Candidate
High School Diploma or GED, completion of high-school-level courses supplemented by technical courses in the repair and maintenance of electronic and microprocessor equipment, or a related field, and some experience in computerized and microprocessor-type traffic signal, or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities, employee must possess a valid driver’s license issued by the state of residence.Preferred QualificationsPREFERREDTo be considered the ideal candidate
, one should also possess experience building, repairing, and maintaining traffic signals and related infrastructure. Journeyman or Master Electrical license is very desirable as well as Graduation from a community college or trades school in a related field, or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.