RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Performs a variety of administrative functions such as records management, procurement, correspondence, and/or other related activities.
- Coordinates actions, clarifies staff responsibilities and timeliness for completion.
- Consolidates data as necessary and reviews to ensure accomplishment of objectives, timeliness, and acceptability.
- Conducts initial and ongoing health care screening and assessment as part of the registration process and updates to patient files.
- Serves as primary contact/clinical liaison between referral hospitals, treatment facilities and patients and their families to ensure delivery of effective and appropriate treatment in accordance with established plan of care.
- Identifies "at risk" individuals and develops and implements a comprehensive plan of care that addresses the specific medical need, as defined within the referral, medical note, or consultative request.
Selectee may be subject to a probationary period
U.S. Citizenship is required
Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
This is a designated position covered by Public Law 101-630, requiring contact or control over Indian children. Due to this requirement, the agency must ensure that persons hired for these positions have not been found guilty of or pleaded nolo contendere or guilty to certain crimes.
Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957 and seasonal influenza immunization is required for all staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
COVID-19 vaccination is required for all selectees prior to entrance on duty.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify/ .
You will need to set up direct deposit so we can pay you.Background Investigation
: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges. You may be subject to a credit check as a part of the background investigation process. Qualifications
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.BASIC REQUIREMENT(S)
- Possession of a master's degree in professional nursing; or
- Possession of at least one full year of professional nursing experience (equivalent to the GS-7 grade level or above) and possession of a diploma, associate degree, or bachelor's degree in Nursing from a professional nursing program. Examples of experience include: work experience as a registered nurse that is based on a broad knowledge base of nursing and health sciences, and applied clinical expertise rooted in the nursing process to nursing care of patients who receive medical treatment in a health care setting; work experience in using use evidence based information across a variety of health care settings to achieve and ensure patient safety and quality of care while improving patient outcomes or nursing care that includes those clinical, organizational and professional activities engaged in by registered nurses with and for individuals, groups, and populations who seek assistance with improving health and/or seek care for health-related problems.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks: Education:
A graduate or higher level degree, bachelor's degree, associate degree, or diploma from an accredited professional nursing educational program is required. This education must have been accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained. Degree from Foreign Nursing School
: Official certification from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing School is required for individuals who graduated from foreign nursing schools. Licensure:
For all grade levels and positions, applicants must have passed the National Council Licensure Examination . In addition, they must possess a current, active, full, and unrestricted license or registration as a professional nurse from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
Professional nursing experiences for GS-9 level includes experience in participating in providing complete written assessment of the patient and the providers regarding patient data. Experience in participating in providing basic health care teaching to patients, family members or surrogates. Experience in providing crisis intervention, stabilization, and direct counseling services to persons in crisis as individual needs arise. Experience in performing intake screening and evaluation. Experience in maintaining health records by documenting observations, nursing interventions and therapeutic measures.
Must be willing to sign a 12 month service agreement. You must meet all qualification requirements within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement. Education
This position has an education requirement. You are strongly encouraged to submit a copy of your transcripts or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed, and grades. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required from all selectees prior to receiving an official offer.
Only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education may be credited. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: https://www.ed.gov/accreditation .
If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html . Additional information
Per IHS policy (SGM 21-04) IHS selectees to positions located in Federally operated hospitals, health centers, and clinics must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before entry on duty or have IHS approve a medical or religious exemption. If an exemption is approved then wearing a face mask and regular testing for COVID-19 will be required. Your Human Resources Specialist will provide a list of documents acceptable as vaccination proof and instructions on how to submit your vaccination documentation or how to request a medical or religious exemption, if needed.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave.
Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least a 6 month service agreement will be required.
The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit:
For IHS - http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/
For NHSC - https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/
For HRSA Nurse Corps - https://bhw.hrsa.gov/loansscholarships/nursecorps