As a chef in a small to medium size kitchen, responsible for the planning and managing of all food activities. Using culinary skills, performs as a working chef in the day-to-day operation of the kitchen and all aspects of meal preparation. Instructs cooks on proper techniques and methods of cooking and preparing a variety of food items in the art of fine culinary cuisine. Checks food during and after preparation for conformance with high standard of quality. Ensures that all kitchens provide nutritious, safe, eye-appealing, properly flavored food. Initiates the preparation and development of new and unusual food items, specialty foods, and sauces. Creates and plans new culinary menu items and recipes to support the interest of customers. Plans all menus for regular meals, fine dining and parties. Formulates cyclic meal specials and menus for use in all food areas to ensure customer satisfaction. Ensures current menu cost cards on all menu food items and the utilization of standardized recipes. Assesses food service related financial data and recommends actions to maintain financial solvency. Responsible for the security and accuracy of monthly inventories of supplies and foods. Complete routine walk through inspections taking any necessary actions and meets all objectives for sanitation and environment requirements. Responsible for work force management, recruitment, and staff training. Other duties include preparation of budgets, maintenance of payroll records, food costs, and reports. Performs other related duties as assigned. QUALIFICATIONS Qualifying Experience: Progressively responsible experience in quantity cooking, preparation of a variety of food items, menu planning, quality and cost control of food preparation, inventory and storage procedures for food supplies and equipment, and procurement of food supplies and equipment. The experience must include supervising personnel. In addition, the incumbent must have knowledge of dietetics, planning culinary activities, and portion control.
If interested in applying for this position you may preview the online application: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/12176557 RequirementsConditions of Employment
QualificationsWho May Apply: Open to everyone. Applicants will be categorized by preference(s) and/or priority consideration eligibilities. An applicant's eligibility will be determined based on eligibility claimed in the questionnaire and proof of eligibility MUST be provided with application by the closing date,
- This position requires the incumbent to complete a background investigation with favorable results.
Business Based Action, Military Spouse Preference, Outside Applicant Veteran, Spouse/Widow/Parent of Veteran, and Transition Hiring Preference
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if the position allows for qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application.Qualifying Experience:
Progressively responsible experience in quantity cooking, preparation of a variety of food items, menu planning, quality and cost control of food preparation, inventory and storage procedures for food supplies and equipment, and procurement of food supplies and equipment. The experience must include supervising personnel. In addition, the incumbent must have knowledge of dietetics, planning culinary activities, and portion control.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:Education
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. This position does not allow for education substitution.FOREIGN EDUCATION:
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Additional information
- Individual must fully meet qualification/eligibility/background requirements for this position.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Direct deposit is required.
- Satisfactorily complete an employment verification (E-Verify) check.
- A probationary period may be required.
- Pre-employment requirements must be satisfactorily met prior to Entrance on Duty (EOD).
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government's interest.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this job opportunity announcement. And additional selections may also be made from this job opportunity announcement.
- Selection(s) are subject to restrictions resulting from hiring preferences and priority consideration eligible.
- This is a Nonappropriated Fund (NAF) position carrying out Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) activities for the Air Force and Space Force.
- This position is not included in a bargaining unit.