As the Engineering Technician:
RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Uses technical engineering data, wiring schematics, and blueprints to analyze and understand the design and operation of complex mechanical and electrical systems.
- Troubleshoots electronic and pneumatic control systems using software-based programming tools, electric multi-meters, and other common hand-held calibration and testing devices used in the HVAC field.
- Independently carries out maintenance and repair on essential HVAC systems including DDC controls. Programs, edits, and implements software control strategies in DDC controller hardware using Tridium Niagara AX and Niagara N4 Workbench programming tool for Tridium, JACE, and Lynxspring EDGE controllers.
- Reports on progress of technical assignments to management. Makes written and oral presentations of results to all interested and affected parties. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel's reporting and algorithm features and the ability to write coherent and detailed reports is required.
- U.S. Citizenship or National
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- See "Other Information" section regarding Selective Service requirements.
- All required documents must be submitted by 11:59PM EST on closing date.
Your resume serves as the basis for qualification determinations and must highlight your most relevant and significant work experience and education (if applicable) as it relates to this job opportunity. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Your resume must include the dates of all qualifying experience (from month/year to month/year) and the number of hours worked/volunteered per week. To ensure compliance with an applicable preliminary nationwide injunction, which may be supplemented, modified, or vacated, depending on the course of ongoing litigation, the Federal Government will take no action to implement or enforce the COVID-19 vaccination requirement pursuant to Executive Order 14043 on Requiring Coronavirus Disease 2019 Vaccination for Federal Employees. Therefore, to the extent a Federal job announcement includes the requirement that applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 pursuant to Executive Order 14043, that requirement does not currently apply. Qualifications
Candidates must meet the Qualification Standards Handbook requirements for the GS-802-12. For this position, specialized experience is at least one year of experience, equivalent in responsibility to the GS-11 level in the Federal service, programming sequences for mechanical and electrical systems that include 8 PID loops and 50 software and physical points.
Applicants must have successfully completed the Tridium Niagara N4Technical Programming Certification class.Note: Applicants who are referred to the hiring office for selection consideration may be required to submit writing and/or work samples as part of the interview/selection process. If the hiring office decides to request a writing and/or work sample as part of its selection process, the vacancy contact will reach out to you by email to: (1) inform you of this requirement; and (2) provide further instructions. Other Relevant Eligibility Criteria :
Must be able to use ladders, scaffolds and platforms. Must be able to differentiate colors and shades of colors. Must be able to participate in respirator and other health programs that relate to exposure to dust, asbestos and lead.
Your application and resume must demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must show in your résumé how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. If asked to do so, cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
Those applicants who meet the minimum qualification requirements will be evaluated against these factors to determine the best-qualified candidates. HVAC design - Ability to perform redesigns and design modifications to HVAC control systems. HVAC Troubleshooting - Ability to troubleshoot electrical and mechanical HVAC systems using computer software applications. Engineering Technical - Knowledge of computer communications network. HVAC Reporting - Skill in developing technical reports, briefing materials and presentations. "Experience"
refers to paid and unpaid experience. Examples of qualifying unpaid experience may include: volunteer work done through National Service programs (such as Peace Corps and AmeriCorps); as well as work for other community-based philanthropic and social organizations. Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills; and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.Time-in-Grade:
Current Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement to receive consideration under merit promotion procedures.CTAP/ICTAP candidates:
To be considered "well qualified" you must meet all of the requirements as described in this section.
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.EducationBasic Requirements:Specialized Experience (for positions at GS-4 or equivalent and above):
Examples of qualifying specialized experience include technical work in: drafting, surveying construction estimating, physical science, mathematics, aerospace, architecture, chemicals, electrical or mechanical systems, mining, petroleum, or nuclear systems.
Experience in a trade or craft may be credited as specialized experience when the work provided intensive knowledge of engineering principles, techniques, methods, and precedents. Examples are trade positions with substantial developmental, test, or design responsibilities such as:
- Planner and estimator who analyzed designs for production purposes.
- Instrument maker or model maker who performed design or development work on devices fabricated.
OREducation and Training:For positions at GS-3 (or equivalent):
Successful completion of l year of post secondary study that included at least 6 semester hours in any combination of courses such as engineering, engineering or industrial technology, construction, physics, drafting, surveying, physical science, or mathematics.For positions at GS-4 (or equivalent):
Successful completion of 2 years of post secondary study that included at least 12 semester hours in any combination of courses such as those shown above for GS-3 (or equivalent). At least 3 of the 12 semester hours must have been in drafting if the position has been designated by a drafting area of specialization.For positions at GS-5 (or equivalent):
Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree (a) with major study in an appropriate field of engineering, construction, or industrial technology; or (b) that included at least 24 semester hours in any combination of courses such as those shown above for GS-3 (or equivalent). At least 6 of the 24 semester hours must have been in drafting if the position has been designated by a drafting area of specialization.Certification:
Engineering technicians may be certified by the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies, an organization sponsored by the National Society of Professional Engineers. Certification by the Institute will be helpful as a measure of the technician's quality of experience.Additional information
- The National Gallery of Art fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
• More than one selection may be made from this vacancy announcement.
• Some positions may require completion of a probationary period of up to 1 (one) year.
• AN EXTERNAL SELECTED CANDIDATE MUST BE FINGERPRINTED AND RECEIVE A BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION, RESULTING IN A SATISFACTORY SUITABILITY DETERMINATION BEFORE BEING HIRED FOR THIS POSITION.
• All males born after December 31st 1959 must abide by laws regarding Selective Service registration. To learn more about this law, visit the Selective Service web page, Who Must Register . If you are not registered and don't have an approved exemption, you will not be eligible for employment with the Federal government.
EEO Policy: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/EEO_Policy_Statement
Reasonable Accommodation Policy: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Reasonable_Accommodation_Policy_Statement
Veterans Information: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Veterans_Information
Selective Service Registration: http://www.sss.gov/