***This position will be associated with an opportunity for appointment as tenure-track Professor/Associate Professor at the University of Utah School of Medicine.***
- This role requires a high degree of inventiveness, deep understanding of process analytics, and demonstrated program leadership.
- Works as a clinical champion to maximize the impact of health informatics services to improve patient outcomes
- Utilizes data and analytics to inform management of structure, processes, and outcomes
- Leads translation and development of best analytical practices including analytics DevSecOps for more robust and manageable approaches to construction of algorithms or instances of methods
- Leads translation and development of new analytical methods for process analytics
- Engages in mutually beneficial collaborations with innovation partners in academic affiliates, other VA offices, and other organizations
- Develops effective collaborations with other technical divisions in CIDMO, other VACO offices, the field and OIT for the effective development/acquisition of new clinical IT products and value delivery.
- Engages in mutually beneficial collaborations with partners in the Department of Energy's national laboratories, Department of Defense (DoD), other government agencies, industry organizations, professional associations, standards organizations, and other healthcare systems
- Leads, develops, and implements the following DMA plans: Vision and Strategic Plan, Communication Plan, Industry Engagement Plan
- Employs a value-based performance improvement framework that engages all relevant stakeholders, measures costs and outcomes, and feeds virtuous learning cycles. Develop an evidence base for best informatics practices for the division
- Develops effective relationships with key clinical leaders and program offices to ensure that they promote the mission of DMA and that DMA best meets their needs
- Leads product management (buy, build, or configure) of enterprise and health-specific data and analytics IT solutions
- Work with business and technical leads to integrate data analysts, researchers and informaticists into the management and governance of IT portfolios
- Work with leads for requirements, data architecture, and informatics in other offices and agencies to enable the most effective analytical capabilities to meet the clinical need
- Supports investment strategy and governance for data and health information technology by matching BI and research needs to technical platforms and solutions according to an architecturally guided roadmap
VA offers a comprehensive total rewards package: VA Nurse Total Rewards Pay:
Competitive salary, regular salary increases, potential for performance awards Paid Time Off:
50 days of paid time off per year (26 days of annual leave, 13 days of sick leave, 11 paid Federal holidays per year) Retirement:
Traditional federal pension (5 years vesting) and federal 401K with up to 5% in contributions by VA Insurance:
Federal health/vision/dental/term life/long-term care (many federal insurance programs can be carried into retirement) Licensure:
1 full and unrestricted license from any US State or territoryWork Schedule:
Monday - Friday, 8am - 4:30pm Compressed/Flexible:
This is not a virtual position. Relocation/Recruitment Incentives:
Not authorized Permanent Change of Station (PCS)
: Not authorized Financial Disclosure Report:
Not required RequirementsConditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- You may be required to serve a probationary period.
- Subject to background/security investigation.
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
- Participation in the seasonal influenza vaccination program is a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP).
- Participation in the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination program is a requirement for all Veterans Health Administration Health Care Personnel (HCP) - See "Additional Information" below for details.
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.Basic Requirements
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy. English Language Proficiency. In accordance with 38 U.S.C. 7402(d), no person shall serve in direct patient care positions unless they are proficient in basic written and spoken English.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing ( ACEN ) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education ( CCNE ). The approving official may authorize a waiver of the requirement for ACEN or CCNE accreditation of any degree in nursing provided the college or university has regional accreditation from an accrediting body recognized by the Department of Education at the time of the candidate's graduation and the composite qualifications of the applicant warrant such consideration. In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Only candidates who meet the preferred experience listed below will be considered best qualified and receive further consideration.
- Principal investigator on federally funded competitive grants that include complex process analysis OR principal investigator on at least one competitively funded grant that prominently features advanced analytics, and at least 5 years of experience as a methodologist on teams focused on methods development for analysis of complex processes with missing data.
- In last 3 years, a leading role in generating requirements for or developing modern IT platforms for managing and analyzing data.
: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse V - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN (or a Bachelor's degree in a related field) and approximately 5-6 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree (preferred) in nursing or related field and appropriate basic or advanced certification desired, and approximately 4-5 years of nursing practice/experience.
Note regarding MSN degrees: If your MSN was obtained via a Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration, a BSN is not required.Reference:
VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.Physical Requirements:
The work is predominantly sedentary and does not require any special physical effort. Travel may be required. EducationIMPORTANT:
A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.Note:
Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html . Additional information
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Pursuant to VHA Directive 1193.01, VHA health care personnel (HCP) are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to such accommodations as required by law (i.e., medical, religious or pregnancy). VHA HCPs do not include remote workers who only infrequently enter VHA locations. If selected, you will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination before your start date. The agency will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request a legally required accommodation from this requirement using the reasonable accommodation process.
If you are unable to apply online or need an alternate method to submit documents, please reach out to the Agency Contact listed in this Job Opportunity Announcement.