Westat is seeking an Accessibility Specialist to support development and maintenance of accessibility resources, materials, and web content. Support includes explaining Federal Section 508 standards, WCAG 2.1 guidelines, and ADA Titles II & III to non-technical staff. The candidate will be able to quickly learn and understand new technologies, be detail-oriented, self-motivated, and able to work both independently and on a team. The successful candidate will have current experience coding HTML pages that meet or exceed current digital accessibility requirements, and be able to show examples if requested.
• Code 508-compliant HTML using Dreamweaver or similar WYSIWYG text editing tools
• Design and develop accessible HTML email templates for email platforms such as MailChimp and Constant Contact
• Work with Digital Accessibility Manager and other staff to provide resources, training materials, and presentations
• Review ICT for accessibility and provide feedback for staff
• Write audio/video descriptions, write descriptive text for complex charts, equations, and images, and create table summaries for all digital content, including social media
• A Bachelor's degree
• Demonstrated proficiency with creating and applying accessible templates using Microsoft Office products such as Teams, Word, PowerPoint, Excel
• Demonstrated proficiency coding simple HTML that meets current digital accessibility requirements
• Working knowledge of WCAG 2.0 Levels A & AA and Universal Design principles
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software such as Acrobat, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, and PhotoShop
• Knowledge of WCAG 2.1/2.2 a plus
• Cross-platform and cross-browser experience a plus
• Video captioning experience a plus
• Captivate Classic or other eLearning authoring tool experience a plus
• Be available for full-time work (9am to 5:30pm, M-F) hybrid with 1 or 2 days a week on-site in our Rockville location
These assignments are temporary hourly positions. Benefits are based on hours worked and tenure.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.