RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Serve as an Electrical Engineer Specialist on the design of power distribution, lighting, lightning protection, grounding, communications, and other systems of major size and complexity.
- Prepare and review contract plans and specifications for power, lighting, communications, and other electrical systems for various military and civil works projects.
- Serve as a subject matter expert and liaison providing specialized electrical engineering guidance on complex engineering and construction matters.
- Conduct quality checks on reports, request for proposals, calculations, drawings, and specifications for both AE submissions as well as in-house internal reviews.
- Develop reports for field studies and building surveys as well as write position papers on highly technical subjects for executive decision makers to make determinations.
QualificationsWho May Apply: US Citizens
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Temporary Duty (TDY) or business travel requirement up to 25% of the time.
- Must possess or obtain and maintain a valid state Driver's License.
- This position requires frequent lifting of moderately heavy items weighing up to 40lbs.
- Possession of a current state-issued Professional Engineering (PE) license or the ability to obtain a state-issued PE license within 18 months of initial appointment is REQUIRED for this position.
- Upon supervisory notification, the incumbent must obtain and maintain a security clearance up to Top Secret SCI and must be able to pass a polygraph test or series of polygraph tests on a periodic basis.
- Upon the designation as Top Secret or higher, this position becomes a drug testing program position.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document .Basic Requirement for Electrical Engineer:
A. Degree: Bachelor's degree (or higher degree) in engineering. To be acceptable, the program must: (1) lead to a bachelor's degree (or higher degree) in a school of engineering with at least one program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET); OR (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
B. Combination of Education and Experience: College-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
1. Professional registration or licensure - Current registration as an Engineer Intern (EI), Engineer in Training (EIT), or licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE) by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico. Absent other means of qualifying under this standard, those applicants who achieved such registration by means other than written test (e.g., State grandfather or eminence provisions) are eligible only for positions that are within or closely related to the specialty field of their registration. For example, an applicant who attains registration through a State Board's eminence provision as a manufacturing engineer typically would be rated eligible only for manufacturing engineering positions.
2. Written Test - Evidence of having successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination, or any other written test required for professional registration, by an engineering licensure board in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico.
3. Specified academic courses - Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences and that included the courses specified in A above. The courses must be fully acceptable toward meeting the requirements of an engineering program.
4. Related curriculum - Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in an appropriate scientific field, e.g., engineering technology, physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a degree in engineering, provided the applicant has had at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. Ordinarily there should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering-type experience, e.g., in interdisciplinary positions.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:Specialized Experience:
One year of specialized experience which includes (1) Reviewing or developing electrical engineering in-house and A-E designs; (2) Attending site visits to resolve construction issues; or (3) Performing engineering related to installation of new equipment in buildings, such as laboratories, administration, secure facilities. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-12).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted. EducationFOREIGN EDUCATION:
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html Additional information
This announcement uses the DHA for Certain Personnel of the DoD Workforce direct hire authority to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to certain positions in the competitive service.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is an Engineers and Scientists (Resources and Construction) Career Field position.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- A Recruitment and/or Relocation Incentive may be authorized for this position subject to agency determination.